Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Hotline Tip: Can I Notarize For Someone At The Mexican Border?

NNA Hotline Tips For NotariesCan I notarize a document for someone who is at the Mexican border? -T.H., El Paso, TX

Texas Notaries have statewide jurisdiction, meaning you can notarize in any county within your state; therefore, if your signer is on the Texas side of the border, you are allowed to complete the act. However, if you are on the Mexico side of the border, you cannot complete the notarization, as your commission is only valid within your state, and certainly not in a different country. Your signer would need to find a local Notary in Mexico.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors


Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call (888) 876-0827Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment


03 Nov 2015

Can I notarize a document stating that personA who lives in California authorizes personB who is living in MEXICO to represent them (personA) in legal matters?

National Notary Association

04 Nov 2015

Hello. You may perform any notarization requested by a signer as long as the signer's requested notarial act meets all requirements of your state's laws.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.