Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Are There Alternatives To Notarizing A Passport?

New Hotline Resized 3Someone wanted me to notarize a copy of their passport, which we aren’t permitted to do in my state. Is there any alternative we can offer someone needing this done? M.A., Illinois

If state law does not authorize Notaries to certify a copy of a document as in Illinois, you may notarize the signature of a person on a written statement attesting to the accuracy of the copy that he or she presents to you. The NNA does not recommend that you offer advice on how to do this, what the document should say and how to notarize it, since that would be considered giving the signer unauthorized legal advice.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

View All: Hotline Tips

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.