Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Can I Notarize While Working Outside My Own State?

New Hotline Resized 3I live in Massachusetts and am a registered Notary there. I will be working in New Hampshire. Can I use my commission to notarize documents in New Hampshire, or am I limited to notarizing within my own state? —  S.C., Massachusetts

A Massachusetts Notary’s commission limits you to notarizing within Massachusetts only (GL 222 Sec. 14). New Hampshire law currently requires Notary commission applicants to be residents of the state and does not allow residents from other states who are employed in New Hampshire to obtain a commission (RSA 455:2).

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

View All: Hotline Tips

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.