Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Notarizing Documents From Other Countries

Notarizing documents from other countries article

Updated 9-19-22. Notarizing documents from foreign countries is often confusing for Notaries. Here we'll answer some general questions and provide you with additional helpful information for working with international notarizations.

Is The Notarization Permitted?

Notaries in most countries perform very different duties compared to their counterparts in the United States. Foreign Notaries who have powers similar to similar to attorneys and are authorized to advise and prepare documents for clients. However, U.S. Notaries have more limited authority, and may not advise or prepare documents for clients.

The confusion occurs when people from other countries ask U.S. Notaries to perform official acts that are not permitted under state law. One common example is when a Notary is asked to certify that a foreign citizen residing in the U.S. is still alive in order to collect an overseas pension. Only the state of Montana explicitly authorize Notaries to certify these “proof of life" certificates. This often confuses signers who have been directed by foreign government agencies to take their life certificate to a U.S. Notary.

If you are asked to perform a notarization on an international document, find out first if your state permits it. You can contact your state Notary regulating agency. Members also can contact the NNA Hotline.

What If The Document Is In A Foreign Language?

International transactions often involve documents drafted in a language you can't read. Is this a deal-breaker?

As a general rule in most states, you may notarize a document written in a foreign language as long as the notarial certificate is in English or a language you can read. You’ll need to check your state’s laws and guidelines for specific guidance. That said, it’s safer and generally more advisable to refer the signer to a Notary who can read the foreign language.

It's also a recommended practice to have a signer sign the document using characters or a language you can read and understand since the signed name could be different than what you are told.

Do Notaries Issue ‘Apostilles’? 

If you’ve ever been asked to notarize a document sent to another country, your signer also may have asked you about obtaining an apostille to authenticate this document.

An apostille is a certificate authenticating the signature and seal of the officer performing the notarization on a document being sent between countries that have ratified The HCCH Apostille Convention.

Basically, an apostille confirms to the document’s recipient that the individual who notarized the document had a valid commission at the time the document was notarized. Without an apostille attached, a document sent between countries must go through a much lengthier authentication process by several different agencies in order to be accepted.

Many people mistakenly believe that apostilles are issued directly by Notaries. Only an authorized authority under the HCCH Apostille Convention (also known as "The Hague Convention") — typically the Secretary of State’s office or other Notary-regulating agency — is authorized to issue apostilles. If a signer asks for an apostille, they will have to submit the document to the appropriate authority, which will typically process and attach an apostille to the notarized document for a fee. Some signers may ask if you can courier their document to the Secretary of State's or appropriate officials office to obtain the apostille/certificate of authority for them. Notaries who live in areas with access to the appropriate office sometimes offer this service for an additional fee.

Are There Any Other Alternatives? 

If it turns out you can’t notarize an international document, the signer may have other options. Embassy and consular staff are authorized to notarize documents being sent to their home countries. If a foreign country requests a notarial act for a signer’s document that a U.S. Notary isn’t authorized to perform, the signer can contact that country’s local consulate or embassy for assistance.

David Thun is an Associate Editor at the National Notary Association.

View All: Best Practices


Add your comment

08 Jul 2015

I have been asked to notarize docs for retirement plans to prove the recipient is still alive within the US. What is the difference?

National Notary Association

08 Jul 2015

Hello. Just to clarify, while you may notarize the signature of a person on a written statement or declaration, U.S. Notaries are not authorized to certify whether or not an individual is alive. If someone has approached you with a document that asks you to certify they are alive, you will need to refer them to a consulate or embassy of the country making the request for assistance.


10 Jul 2015

If some one ask to notarize for "to whom it may concern" for the affidavit support can be noterisze as jurat.


11 Jul 2015

I understand that I cannot certify that a certain person is alive on my own but if "john e doe" is signing a document where "john e doe" is swearing or affirming that "john e doe" is alive and I am notarizing "john e doe" 's signature and of course my client must be alive to sign, in a round about way am I not saying that "john e doe" IS alive as I notarized his signature on a document where he swore he was alive. [I am not an attorney].

National Notary Association

15 Jul 2015

Hello. As mentioned in the article, U.S. Notaries aren't authorized to certify under their own commission that a person is alive. (An example of this would be a statement you were asked to sign that reads "I, a Notary Public, certify that John Doe is alive.") A signer could ask you to notarize his signature on his own written statement as an alternative. However, it would be the signer's responsibility, not yours, to contact the receiving agency beforehand and confirm this alternative would be acceptable to whoever is receiving the document.

LeRoy E. Casey

16 Feb 2016

I've been asked to notarize several times. However, they were from domestic organizations. One that comes to mind is a labor union asking for proof of life for a 97 year old pensioner. The Jurat certificate was in order and I didn't think twice about it. Did I make an error?

National Notary Association

17 Feb 2016

Hello LeRoy. If the signer simply asked the Notary to execute a standard jurat while signing the document, there shouldn't be any issue, provided all normal state laws were followed. The problem with "proof of life" requests normally arises when the Notary is asked to certify that the signer is alive--which is something normally Notaries are not authorized to do.

Petra Jameson

18 May 2016

I am a notary in the state of Indiana but working in the state of Mississippi. Can i use my notary

National Notary Association

19 May 2016

Hello. No, Indiana Notaries cannot use their commissions outside of the state of Indiana.

April H

28 Jun 2016

I have a friend that is a united states notary in the state of TX.. She was asked to notarize a document for a US citizen whose husband is residing in Mexico. He is unable to come to the States. Can this notary notarize the signature of this woman's Mexican citizen or must a consulate do it for them?

National Notary Association

29 Jun 2016

Hello. A Texas Notary may only notarize documents within the borders of Texas.

Lisa Baldwin

20 Jul 2016

When a document comes back from another country, and their is a gold brad on the corner, are those allowed to be removed?

National Notary Association

20 Jul 2016

Hello. A Notary should not tamper with or alter the main body of a document. If there is something on the document that is preventing the Notary from affixing a seal or attaching notarial wording, the signer should be asked how to proceed.

Bryan Juarez

19 Aug 2016

If a notary notarizes a Will here in the US is it legally valid in Mexico?

National Notary Association

22 Aug 2016

Hello. We're sorry, but that's a legal question we can't answer. You would need to speak with an attorney to answer this question.

Joyce Porte

04 Sep 2016

A German national who owns property in the USA wishes to sell his property here. Documents have been drawn, but the owner cannot be present to notarize the sale document because he is too ill to travel. How can we get a notarized document from him?

National Notary Association

06 Sep 2016

Hello. If the signer requires a notarization but cannot travel the signer would need to find a Notary at his location who can notarize his signature.

Dalas P.

10 Nov 2016

I sort of understand we can not notarize foreign doc stating if the person is alive. A lady brought me a notary from Sweden to prove she is still alive to keep receiving her pension. Doc was in both languages but no notarial certificate just said date, sign and stamp, it did not say notary but institution signature. Besides the facts stated above, we would still not be able to notarize this correct?

National Notary Association

14 Nov 2016

Hi Dalas. Notaries in the U.S. do not have the authority to certify that a person is alive. However, if a person brings you a document and requests to acknowledge their signature, or the person wishes to sign a written statement in your presence and take an oath or affirmation that the statement is true, you may do so provided all requirements of your state's Notary laws are met. You are correct that you cannot simply "sign and stamp" a document as a Notary if the document has no notarial certificate wording.

Karoly Pek

14 Jan 2017

A Corrective Warranty Deed, In Broward Country, Fl., requires a not notarized signatures of my two sons. They are living in Canada. Can a Canadian Notary Public notarize their signature?

National Notary Association

17 Jan 2017

Hello. You would need to contact the agency or recording office that will receive the deed to find out if they will accept a Canadian notarization.

Barbara Hayes

27 Mar 2017

I'm a notary here in the US, but I'm planning on moving to the UK. Would my notary still be valid?

National Notary Association

27 Mar 2017

Hello. No, you would have to resign your Notary commission when you move.


04 May 2017

what language do we use if sending a deed to Dubai for them to sign there. Instead of State of ......... and County of ........what do we put there for the notary in that country?

National Notary Association

04 May 2017

Hello. We're sorry, but we can't provide legal advice regarding the preparation of a document being sent to a foreign country. You would need to contact an attorney familiar with that country's laws for assistance.

Merlyn V.

29 May 2017

Can I notarize a letter going to Ecuador, I am commissioned in the state of New York.

National Notary Association

30 May 2017

Hello. Yes, provided that the notarial act being requested meets all requirements of New York state law.

Merlyn V.

30 May 2017

Can I notarize a letter going to Ecuador, I am commissioned in the state of New York.

National Notary Association

31 May 2017

Hello. Yes, provided the notarial act being requested is authorized in New York and meets all the requirements of your state's laws.

Vera P.

06 Jul 2017

In addition to the Notary verifying that the person is who he says he is, can an extra notarial paragraph be added to a document stating that the signer acknowledges to the Notary that he has read and fully understands the contents of the document? And can that document including both acknowledgments be sent to have an Apostille seal affixed to the document? Specifically, this pertains to a Power of Attorney from a U.S. citizen giving power of attorney to someone living in Serbia.

National Notary Association

07 Jul 2017

Hello. Can you please tell us what state you are commissioned in?


05 Oct 2017

Can you please advice me if they allow to Notarize my Court Documents from other country. i need to notarized by Secretary of State,1st i been through notarized and certified from local Notarized of notarian in the bank, 2nd i been through notarized by our County clerk of the state, so 3rd is it allow to notarized by Secretary of the state?

National Notary Association

05 Oct 2017

Hello. We apologize, but we are not clear from your question what type of service you need. The Secretary of State's office does not notarize documents, but can authenticate a notarization if the Notary was commissioned in that state. We would recommend you contact the Secretary of State's office directly to ask if they can assist you.

Job van Zuijlen

13 Oct 2017

I live in the US (Virginia) and am one of those in need of a notary stamp and signature on a life certificate document. I get a pension from the Netherlands, but since I am no longer a Dutch citizen (I became a US citizen in 2005), I have a problem. The Dutch embassy will only assist Dutch citizens, so that is not an option. The form states a notary public as one of the acceptable authorities, so I wonder what I could ask a notary public without them feeling uncomfortable. This has been an ongoing hassle for the last couple of years.

National Notary Association

16 Oct 2017

Hello. If the document simply requires your signature to be notarized with a standard notarial act such as an acknowledgment or jurat, a Virginia Notary can notarize your signature normally.


16 Nov 2017

Me and my husband is in the process of adoption. My husband is planning to adopt my son and the bio dad who resides in the Philippines is willimg to relinquish his rights. My question is, since the documents for reliquishing his right is coming from Philippines, does the notarized document valid here in US? The notary public is from Quezon City Hall, since bio dad can’t go to US consulate for notarization Hope to hear from you!

National Notary Association

17 Nov 2017

Hello. We're sorry, but that's a legal question that would need to be answered by a qualified attorney.


02 Dec 2017

Can a Canadian selling land in the US sign a US document Can a Canadian go to the stateside to have a US document notarized in the USA without going to the US Embassy? The document is not entering into Canada or dimes that matter?


04 Dec 2017

Hello. There is nothing preventing a Canadian citizen from requesting a notarial act from a U.S. Notary, provided the notarization requested meets all requirements regarding personal appearance, identification, etc. in the Notary's jurisdiction. However, any questions regarding whether a U.S. notarization is acceptable for a land transaction in Canada would need to be directed to an attorney or other qualified professional authorized to give advice on Canadian real estate law.


02 Dec 2017

Can I as authorized Notary in USA sign notarize a property sale deed for property in foreign country? This is a new document that the individual will be sending to foreign country to be executed there.

National Notary Association

04 Dec 2017

Hello. It would depend on the notarial act being requested. You may perform a notarization as long as the notarial act requested meets all requirements of your state's laws. Be aware that Notaries in other countries are sometimes authorized to perform acts that U.S. Notaries are not permitted to perform. If the notarization requested is not authorized by your state's law, you cannot notarize the document. Also, you may not advise the signer whether or not this notarization will be accepted by the receiving agency-the signer must contact the receiving agency to find out whether the notarized document will be acceptable to them.


08 Dec 2017

Hi.. My child's (minor) US passport will be expired this Dec 17. One of the requirements to renew/reapply is parental consent (both parents). The problem is, my husband is in Canada right now since he is a merchant marine, and we live here in the US.. Will he be able to have the consent notarized there?

National Notary Association

11 Dec 2017

Hello. One option may be for your husband to request a notarization at a U.S. consulate or embassy. You may wish to contact a consulate or embassy in his area to find out if notarization services for U.S. citizens are available.


19 Feb 2018

Got my birth certificate from El Paso Texas needs a stamp where do I go? I was born in Mexico but am a permanent resident in California since 1957

National Notary Association

20 Feb 2018

Hello. California Notaries may not certify copies of birth certificates. If you need a certified copy of your birth certificate, you need to contact the recording office that issued the original to request a copy.


02 Apr 2018

If I may say so, and at the risk of offending the author of this article, I find the advice to refer the requester to a Notary who understands the language in which the document is written somewhat disingenuous. I am a Notary, practicing in Washington State, where I am allowed to notarize all foreign language documents; whether I understand the language or not. And I do. I am also a French person having lived in the US for thirty years, and for most of my life here have found myself, about once a year, needing to have a French language document notarized, and each time needing to go through great lengths to get that done (several days of searching and extensive travel); even though I live in a major US city. In large part, I became a notary to help others in my case. I would like to respectfully request that any discussion about notarizing foreign language documents sensitize the notary community to this problem; and encourage those in a state that allows it to get a little bit out of their comfort zone and do it. I have been rejected many times by notaries who could have, but chose not to notarize my French language documents; with the most common reason given to me that they felt "uncomfortable" doing so. That included the Notary at city hall; a person financed in part by my tax money; and from whom I could have reasonably expected a higher level of commitment to serving the community.


14 May 2018

I have a friend that needs a Brazilian birth certificate notarized, do I tell him to go to the Brazil embassy?

National Notary Association

15 May 2018

Hello Marriah. Different states have different rules regarding certifying copies of documents. To help us answer your question can you please tell us what state you are located in?


15 May 2018

Yes I’m in California

National Notary Association

15 May 2018

Thanks, Marriah. California Notaries may not certify copies of birth certificates. Your friend would probably need to contact a Brazilian consulate or embassy for assistance.


15 May 2018

I moved to Mexico City for a couple of months. I am a notary in the State of North Carolina. Since a friend found out I was moving to Mexico city she asked if I could notarize a letter from her husband who lives in Mexico giving her the right to their home so she can be able to put home owner insurance on their property. Is that something I can do? and that will be valid in the state of North Carolina?

National Notary Association

16 May 2018

Hello. No, North Carolina Notaries may not notarize documents outside their own state.


24 May 2018

Can a TX state notary notarize a U.S. document that is out of country via webcam provided identification has been confirmed?

National Notary Association

24 May 2018

Hello. A new Texas law authorizing remote online notarizations takes effect July 1, 2018. Please see here for additional information:


29 May 2018

Hi. I am certified Notary in MI. I am planning on travelling to the Middle East . How can I use my credentials overthere? Do I need to fillfill out any application before travelling ?

National Notary Association

29 May 2018

Hello. You may not use your Michigan commission to notarize documents in a foreign country. Certain individuals may hold special commissions from the federal government to notarize overseas. Some serving U.S. military personnel are authorized to notarize for military members and their families on U.S. bases in other countries. Also, officers of the foreign service of the United States, and consular agents at U.S. embassies and consulates, are authorized under federal law to notarize documents abroad. However, these specialized commissions are not available to Notaries commissioned by U.S. states and jurisdictions.


29 May 2018

I have a question: This article talks about notarizing overseas. What about notarizing in neighboring countries, like Canada or Cuba?

National Notary Association

29 May 2018

Hello. To help us answer your question what state are you commissioned in?


11 Jun 2018

I am requested to notarize certify the document is original for corporation purpose. The document is from other country but written in English. May I notarize it? If yes, what kind of form should I use? Or can I notarize it on the original directly? I'm in the state of California.

National Notary Association

13 Jun 2018

Hi Jeni. We need to know a few more details about the notarization request in order to answer your question. If you can please call our Hotline team at 1-888-876-6827, one of our counselors can assist you.

Carolyn McIntosh

11 Jul 2018

Can I as a Notary of California, sign a passport application from Canada...Do I use an acknowledgement or jurat or is that decided by the country? The country says all I need to do is sign my name and write my number down along with expiration date. I am not comfortable with that...All I would be signing for is that I have known the individual for more than two years.

National Notary Association

11 Jul 2018

Hello. No, Notaries in California are not authorized as part of their official duties to sign a document to certify that they know an individual.

Monica Castilo

12 Jul 2018

I work in the lending industry in California. I have a client who is traveling out of the country to Mexico in the next few weeks. Client will need to sign US loan documents in Mexico. Is this something that can be done?

National Notary Association

13 Jul 2018

Hi Monica. We're sorry, but we're not clear from your comment what your question is regarding notarization of the documents. Can you clarify, please?


28 Sep 2018

I would like to find a US notary that would travel to Vietnam, for family deeds of transfer of assets (English).

National Notary Association

28 Sep 2018

Hello. Certain individuals may hold special commissions from the federal government to notarize overseas. Some serving U.S. military personnel are authorized to notarize for military members and their families on U.S. bases in other countries. With the exceptions of the special commissions and situations listed above, Notaries commissioned by a U.S. state are not able to use their Notary commission overseas.However, you may wish to contact a U.S. consulate or embassy in Vietnam to ask if a consular officer there would be able to notarize the documents in question.


17 Nov 2018

Can an affidavit of identity be notarized in another country and be used in the US? Middle name was incorrect on a doc.

National Notary Association

19 Nov 2018

Hello. You would need to contact the agency the document is being submitted to in order to ask if they will accept it.

Mavis Gore

30 Jan 2019

Iam a ya citizen and I acquired a stand to build a house in Zimbabwe.The local authority is in need of an a power of attorney so that my brother will act on my behalf for me to get the necessary papers.How do I get this done here

National Notary Association

30 Jan 2019

Hello. We're sorry, but that is a legal question that would need to be answered by an attorney familiar with Zimbabwe laws.


19 Feb 2019

Hi I'm commissioned in NY. My boss asked me to notarize an acknowledgement document for a recertification here in NY but he is out of the country. Is it okay that I notarized the signed document he sent to me via email?

National Notary Association

20 Feb 2019

Hello. No, personal appearance by the signer is required for an acknowledgment. Please see the following court opinions: “The court again wishes to express its condemnation of the acts of notaries taking acknowledgments or affidavits without the presence of the party whose acknowledgment is taken for the affiant, and that it will treat serious professional misconduct the act of any notary thus violating his official duty.” (Matter of Napolis, 169 App. Div. 469, 472.) “Upon the faith of these acknowledgments rests the title of real property, and the only security to such titles is the fidelity with which notaries and commissioners of deeds perform their duty in requiring the appearance of parties to such instruments before them and always refusing to execute a certificate unless the parties are actually known to them or the identity of the parties executing the instruments is satisfactorily proved.” (Matter of Gottheim, 153 App. Div. 779, 782.)


23 Feb 2019

I am a Colorado notary. I have a friend, from Colorado, that is in Mexico for an extended time. They need some Colorado generated papers notarized for a refinance on a Colorado Property. I am going to visit him in Mexico in a couple weeks. Can I notarize those papers while i am with him in Mexico?

National Notary Association

25 Feb 2019

Hello. No, Colorado Notaries may only notarize within the borders of their own state.

Tim Morgan

09 Apr 2019

I am a CA notary. I have been asked to certify a copy of a CA resident's US passport. She has been asked to provide this to a Canadian lawfirm handling the settlement of her late mother's estate (her mother was Canadian). This requirement is necessary to comply with anti money statutes. I know I cannot certify a copy of a passport. My limited research suggests the US State Department does not certify copies of passports, but does certify certain passport records. I have suggested that the requester ask the Canadian lawyers if they will accept the CA resident's affidavit that an attached copy of her passport is a true copy. I could then have her sign and swear to the truth of the affidavit and provide a jurat. I don't know whether there is a prohibition against photocopying a US passport for this purpose. Is there anything different you would suggest?

National Notary Association

09 Apr 2019

Hello. We're sorry, but please remember a nonattorney Notary is not supposed to give legal advice to a signer. The signer should contact the lawfirm and ask them what alternatives they would accept to a certified copy.


17 Apr 2019

Hi, I am a resident of MS working on a ship in the Gulf of Mexico, flying under the Panamanian flag. The captain of the vessel is a notary under Panama. I need to have a divorce agreement notarized. Will the Captain's notary be sufficient?

National Notary Association

17 Apr 2019

Hello. You would need to contact an attorney to find out if the notarization is acceptable for your document or not.


23 Aug 2019

Hello, I am a resident of GA and a notary. I like to know if I can translate a foreign high school diploma, birth certificate, marriage license etc. from my native language to US and notarized it?

National Notary Association

23 Aug 2019

Hello. No, you are not allowed to notarize your own translation of a document.


07 Sep 2019

I'm trying to get a Notice of Intended Marriage form from Australia notarized in California, but due to the wording on the document the notary must attach a different form to sign, and is unable to sign the NoIM itself. The Aus Govt won't accept the attached form, only the notarized NoIM. Is there any advice you could offer? Or other states that may be able to notarize the form?

National Notary Association

09 Sep 2019

Hello. If there is an Australian consulate or embassy near your location, you may want to contact them to ask if a consular officer can perform the requested notarization.

Sandy L

17 Sep 2019

I'm a new Notary and a friend asked me, would a document that was created in California and notarized in California using a Mexican Notary stamp in the United States, not Mexico, be a valid notarization? I can't imagine that it would be but don't want to guess the answer.

National Notary Association

19 Sep 2019

Hello. Unfortunately, that would be a question that would need to be answered by an attorney familiar with Mexico law.


12 Oct 2019

Hello. What are the requirements for a document created in another country to be valid in the US? Specifically in Ca.

National Notary Association

14 Oct 2019

Hello. We are sorry, but that is a legal question that would need to be answered by a qualified attorney.


03 Dec 2019

I live in Alabama and am a notary public. My friend lives in Mexico, but is currently here in Alabama with me and needs a document notarized. Since she is here (Alabama) with me, can I notarize something for her?

National Notary Association

06 Dec 2019

Hello. Yes, provided that the notarization requested meets all requirements of your state's laws, and your friend appears in person before you with the document in question.


03 Dec 2019

Recently had a couple come in to notarize a document from Canada. There was only a Venue and Signature line for me. There wasn't any notorial wording at all. After explaining to the client the difference between a Jurat and an Acknowledgment, they chose the Acknowledgment. The Canadian agency rejected the document stating that I needed to do the notarization on the document. My boss then told the client that since it's from Canada we can do it, and forced me to do the notarization without any notorial wording. She often takes over my notary and does things that are not the right way and, forces me to do the same unethical procedures. Was I right in attaching the Acknowledgment or Just do it the way my boss says (she's been a notary for 25yrs) I'm confused now.

National Notary Association

06 Dec 2019

Hello. No, your boss does not have the right to compel you to perform an illegal notarization. Further, you cannot perform a notarization that violates your state's Notary law requirements simply because the request came from a different country.


05 Feb 2020

Hello, I'm a notary in Florida but I'm in Spain at the time my parents need to get a document issued in Florida notarized my question can I notarize this document?

National Notary Association

06 Feb 2020

Hello. No, Florida Notaries may not notarize the signatures of their parents, and you may only perform your duties within the borders of Florida.

Anas AlGhazzi

17 Feb 2020

Can a Florida Remote Notary Public (RON) notarize a document between a US Citizen physically in FL and another US Citizen physically present in a sanctioned country (Syria)? No American Charg� D'affaires available within the borders of Syria Both parties are personally known to the Notary Public, still went through the FL legal RON process. The document is to be used within the borders of Florida (POA).

National Notary Association

18 Feb 2020

Based on what you’ve described, we think it would be best if you contacted our Hotline team by phone and provided them with a more detailed description of the situation. The NNA Hotline: 1-888-876-0827 Mon – Fri: 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (PT) Saturday: 5:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (PT) If you’re not an NNA Member or Hotline Subscriber, they will provide you with a one-time courtesy call.


25 Feb 2020

I work at a county clerks office and we check fo valid notaries on various documents. What are the stamp requirements for a valid canadian notary to include on a notarized document.

National Notary Association

26 Feb 2020

Hello. We apologize, but Canadian Notaries perform significantly different duties than Notaries in the United States. We would recommend contacting a Canadian embassy or consulate, or the Society of Notaries Public of British Columbia at for information.


16 Mar 2020

Hello! I am a notary in California. I have a client who came in with a power of attorney they would like notarized but it is all in Spanish. I do speak spanish and understand the document. They advised me the document is being sent to Central America. Can I translate the notarial certification so that it can also be read in Spanish?

National Notary Association

17 Mar 2020

Hello. Please see this article for more information on restrictions regarding Notaries translating documents:


25 May 2020

Answer: to a question I just had ... a Notary is allowed to Notarize a will and testament to a person in Mexico 🇲🇽 within the US and sometimes bordered depends ding in your state and it can be used in Mexico as long as it’s accompanied by an Apostille.

National Notary Association

27 May 2020

Based on what you’ve described, we think it would be best if you contacted our Hotline team by phone and provided them with a more detailed description of the situation. The NNA Hotline: 1-888-876-0827 Mon – Fri: 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (PT) Saturday: 5:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (PT) If you’re not an NNA Member or Hotline Subscriber, they will provide you with a one-time courtesy call.

Timothy Nyari

04 Jun 2020

I was wondering how it would work to get a notary in hungry to help my mom get things filled so I can get her money here in the states.. she was a resident and got deported after 43 years.. she has money she need from here but failure is all I found

National Notary Association

04 Jun 2020

Hello. If you need assistance notarizing international documents between the U.S. and Hungary, you may wish to contact a Hungarian consulate or embassy to ask if they can assist you.


28 Jul 2020

I would like to know as a notary can you notarize any international documents ( like a person transferring gun from one person to another). I was not able to find anything on that information.

National Notary Association

29 Jul 2020

Based on what you’ve described, we think it would be best if you contacted our Hotline team by phone and provided them with a more detailed description of the situation. The NNA Hotline: 1-888-876-0827 Mon – Fri: 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (PT) Saturday: 5:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (PT) If you’re not an NNA Member or Hotline Subscriber, they will provide you with a one-time courtesy call.


23 Nov 2020

Hello. I'm a CA notary and have been presented with two documents from Greece (written in English). I've been asked to notarized the documents, in which one has language for a notary (which I will cross out and put see attached for notarial page). Client has asked for acknowledgments on the both documents--am I able to notarize these ? We will be signing within the state of CA, and will perform normal steps of acknowledgement. Thank you.

National Notary Association

04 Dec 2020

Hello. You are permitted to perform any notarial act authorized by your state's statutes, provided that you follow all required steps under California state law.

Sheryl Wingate

06 Dec 2020

Hello. My Mom passed in the Philippines and my Dad is sending documents from her estate and I need a Philippine notary to sign with. I'm in Washington, can you help me find a resource for this?

National Notary Association

08 Dec 2020

Hello. You may wish to contact a Philippines embassy or consulate in your area to find out if they can perform the notarizations you require.

Olivia Mosley

07 Dec 2020

I had a gentleman who was in Dubai his passport and ID said that they were from Canada and he needed a power of attorney for the popular title company First American signed. He wanted to complete his signing remote online and ink, It’s just a regular power of attorney for wiring instructions for a home located in the United States and specifically in my state, is a document like this OK to notarize Arizona

National Notary Association

10 Dec 2020

Hello. While Arizona permits remote online notarizations, you may not perform remote online notarizations unless you have submitted an additional application to do so with the Secretary of State's office and contracted with an authorized technology provider. Please see here for information:

Sue B

02 Feb 2021

I am a new California notary. A friend and his siblings inherited a house in Belgium from his parents. My friend lives in CA and is asking if I would be able to notarize a POA that is being sent from Belgium in order to give his brother POA to sell. Am I able to do this as long as the notarial certificate is in English?

National Notary Association

04 Feb 2021

Hello. In order for you to notarize, the signer would need to physically appear before you in person within the borders of California.

Nancy F

16 Feb 2021

A friend died and I am the executor of his estate. His 7 siblings are in Brazil and need to each sign and notarize a NY state court form, consenting to probate. Will a document notarized in Brazil be recognized in the US? Or should they use a US-based online notary service?

National Notary Association

25 Feb 2021

Hello. We're sorry, but these are legal questions that would need to be answered by a qualified attorney.


19 Mar 2021

I reside in NY. I need to send to my brother, in Spain, a Power of Attorney with the Hague apostille (for inheritance matters). I only have a text of this power in Spanish (an adaptation from the power that my sister got from a notary in Spain and was sent to my brother). What are the next steps that I need to take in order to have the final document, with the apostille, that will be valid in Spain? Thank you for your help.

National Notary Association

22 Mar 2021

Hello. We're sorry, but any questions about legal procedures to ensure that a will is valid in Spain would need to be answered by an attorney qualified to answer questions about Spanish law.

Ann-Marie Tomaszewski

29 Mar 2021

I'm a NJ resident and have been asked to Notarize a Japanese document. The request is from a NJ resident, so I'm presuming I can proceed (Notarize the document)..

National Notary Association

06 Apr 2021

Hello. New Jersey does not provide specific instructions for notarizing foreign-language documents in its statutes. Please see here for general tips for when a signer requests you notarize a document in a foreign language:


15 May 2021

I am an Australian with passport and Australian D/L but i live (Resident) in California. I tried to have a document notarised at a UPS office and they told me Notaries cannot notarise a document based on foreign passport or identification. What are my options as i need to send a document to Florida

National Notary Association

19 May 2021

Hello. California Notaries may accept a valid foreign passport from the applicant’s country of citizenship as proof of ID. Please see here for information on acceptable signer IDs for notarization in California:


29 Jun 2021

Can a TX notary, who offers remote notary services, notarize a CA POA or Deed of Trust for someone in Mexico who cannot come to the U.S. to sign the documents? I saw a similar question asked above but it was from 2016 and may be outdated. I'm trying to find the best option to have a CA POA or Deed of Trust notarized in Mexico but acknowledged in the state of CA. Not sure if a remote notary service in TX is allowable and then get an Apostille to authenticate would be an option? Please advise.

National Notary Association

01 Jul 2021

Based on what you’ve described, we think it would be best if you contacted our Hotline team by phone and provided them with a more detailed description of the situation. The NNA Hotline: 1-888-876-0827 Mon – Fri: 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (PT) Saturday: 5:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (PT) If you’re not an NNA Member or Hotline Subscriber, they will provide you with a one-time courtesy call.


30 Jun 2021

WA State allows unexpired foreign passports (picture and signature should be shown) for notary, but also passed a bill for RON (Remote Online Notary). So if there was a document that needed to be notarized, could the foreigner in the other country with the foreign passport still have the document notarized electronically?

National Notary Association

01 Jul 2021

Hello. Please see this page for more information about WA identification requirements for RON:


16 Jul 2021

My child is in the UK and requires a passport renewal. The US embassy there needs my notorised consent form to issue her a new passport. I live in Florida, is a simple notary enough or does it have to be done through the state department etc...?

National Notary Association

19 Jul 2021

Hello. You would need to contact the embassy to confirm if they will accept a notarization performed by a Florida-commissioned Notary or if they have any other special requirements.


21 Jul 2021

Hello, I have a client that brought in a notarized document from Mexico, it reads that the Minor child a us citizen will be residing with aunt & uncle in the us until he comes adult at 21. Parents are non citizen and reside in Mexico not the us. Parents are authorizing the aunt/unckle all authorized decision making for Medical,Educational,Govermental needs and to request a passport and school enrollment. it's all in spanish I am bilingual able to understand all the notary. Now my client is asking to translate to make it valid in the us along with notary request and send out to the secretary of state for apostille? will this all be necessary? please advise. State of Colorado.

National Notary Association

21 Jul 2021

Hello. If you are a qualified professional translator who also holds a Notary commission, remember that if you translate a document, you would need to find another Notary to notarize your signature on the translator’s declaration. Notarizing your own signature is a conflict of interest and is not allowed in any U.S. state or territory. For more information, please see here: For more information about apostille requests, please see here:

Liliana Hernández

26 Jul 2021

I have a client that is an American citizen with resides in the USA. He co-owns property in Colombia, SA his birthplace where he has dual citizenship. They need his signature for a building permit in Colombia. Can a notary do this or does he need to go through the Colombian Embassy?

National Notary Association

27 Jul 2021

Hello. The signer would need to contact the agency that will receive the building permit to ask if they would accept a notarization performed by a U.S. Notary.

Chris Brevig

12 Aug 2021

I went to the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh to notarize an affidavit describing what happened to me during my previous visit to the same Embassy. The affidavit only described events, and made no allegations of misconduct, policies broken, etc., just a simple statement of events. They refused to notarize it saying it was a conflict of interests. Are they allowed to do that?

National Notary Association

12 Aug 2021

Hello. We're sorry, but we are unable to answer that question without knowing more details about the reasons embassy felt it would be a conflict of interest for one of their staff to notarize the document.

Antonio L. Kho, Jr.

14 Aug 2021

Can a notary in US (Indiana) notarize a copy of a foreign passport where the owner of the passport in not present in US?

National Notary Association

07 Sep 2021

Yes. The person who presents a document for copy certification does not need to be the owner of, or listed on, the document being copy certified.

Lilly N

24 Aug 2021

Hello, I’m commissioned in Florida. Can I notarize documents going to to a foreign country? Is anything else required? Is an Apostille required for each document?

National Notary Association

26 Aug 2021

Hello. Yes, you may notarize a document that will be sent to another country. It is the signer's responsibility to determine if any additional requirements for the document, such as an apostille, are needed.

Sam Cassin

23 Sep 2021

I need to have a legal certified copy of a name change document issued in France (in French). Can I do this through the French Embassy here or do I have to send the document to France? Thank you for your input

National Notary Association

24 Sep 2021

Hello. You would need to contact a French embassy or consulate to request instructions for this process.

Brian C

28 Oct 2021

I am looking to add an apostille option to my notary business. How do I go about doing so?

National Notary Association

29 Oct 2021

Hello. Please see this article and video for tips on getting started:


31 Jan 2022

I am trying to withdraw my pension,needs spousal consent,but my husband is in a foreign land,but my pension plan stated,they don’t accept foreign notary,what will i do?

National Notary Association

01 Feb 2022

Hello. We're sorry, but you would need to ask the pension provider what alternative options they will accept.

Janet Garling

12 Mar 2022

I have a NJ Notary Commission. Can I motorize a document from a person who lives in SC if she has all her paperwork and ID in order?

National Notary Association

14 Mar 2022

Hello. If the notarization takes place with the signer present before you in New Jersey, and the notarial act requested meets all requirements of NJ law you may perform it. However, you may not travel to South Carolina to perform the notarization.

Norman DeSilva

23 Mar 2022

If a client ask to notarize his signature on a document going to another country but the document doesn't have proper wordings, besides attaching proper wordings, can you also stamp his form without the proper wordings?

National Notary Association

24 Mar 2022

Hello. No, you may not notarize a signature on a document without completing the certificate wording required by your state's laws.

Angie S

17 May 2022

Can we notarize the Authentication of a degree from Cuba?

National Notary Association

18 May 2022

Hello. To help us answer your question, can you please tell us what type of notarization is being requested and what state you are commissioned in?

27 Jun 2022

i am a notary in texas can a texas notary notarize a document from india or another country can texas notary notarize a foreign passport application for India. can texas notary notarize documents from foreign country

National Notary Association

28 Jun 2022

Hello. There is nothing specifically prohibiting you from notarizing a signature on a document prepared in another country, provided the notarization being requested by the customer is one you are authorized to perform and the request meets all requirements of Texas law. However, it is possible you may encounter potential issues if the document is in a language you do not speak or read. For more information on how to handle document language issues, please see here:

Joe Ewing

07 Jul 2022

Hell-o. No! Is the best reply to most of those questions. The ones that can be notarized almost always require an Apostille and the clerks at the Secretary of State will reject any notarization that’s not compliant or perfect. When this happens the delay that those errors by an untrained apostille agent can do immeasurable harm to the client.


15 Jul 2022

Hello, I have a New York State Power of Attorney Short Form need notarized by US Embassy Guangzhou PRC. I’m abroad and my agent is in New York . However , what I concern with is that the venue of notarization has already been preprinted as “ New York State “ as part of the Notary Certificate wording. I wonder how will the US Embassy Notary Guangzhou deal with that that. Thanks!

National Notary Association

28 Jul 2022

Hello. We're sorry, but that is a question you would need to contact the embassy directly to ask them.


16 Jul 2022

Hello, I have a New York State Power of Attorney Short Form need notarized by US Embassy Guangzhou PRC. However , the venue of notarization has already been preprinted as “ New York State “ , I wonder if the Embassy Notary will used ‘loose Notary Certificate’ instead. Thank you very much!

National Notary Association

18 Jul 2022

Hello. We would recommend contacting the embassy directly to ask if this situation would cause any issues or require any additional procedures for notarizing the document.

Larry Elfers

20 Jul 2022

I am a notary in Ohio. May I notarize a document written in Spanish? I donot speak or read Spanish. The document needs to be sent to Columbus, Ohio for an apostille after it is notarized. Thanks Larry Elfers

National Notary Association

08 Aug 2022

Hello. Please see this page for guidance regarding foreign language documents:

Deanna Barker

06 Aug 2022

Can a notary public in the state of Georgia certify a copy of an international document from Canada?

National Notary Association

09 Aug 2022

Hello. Georgia Notaries may make certified copies “provided that the document presented for copying is an original document and is neither a public record nor a publicly recorded document certified copies of which are available from an official source other than a notary and provided that the document was photocopied under supervision of the notary” (OCGA 45-17-8[a][6]). A Georgia notary public is prohibited from making certified copies of publicly recordable documents which include: deeds, mortgages, and other instruments dealing with real estate, vital records, birth certificates, marriage records, divorce decrees, powers of attorney, probated wills, student records or transcripts from public schools, colleges or universities, military discharges, certain Uniform Commercial Code documents, court pleadings, documents marked “filed” or “recorded” (Georgia Notary Handbook).


18 Sep 2022

We 2 brother and 1 sister live in US. Our parents also stay in USA and visited india often Lu because own big land in india. We all 3 sibling US citizen and live in USA. Now my sister doesn’t want any property from her father, who owns land as mentioned earlier. Can we do any paperwork in USA rather than go to india. Release daughter from property and give all property to other 2 sons

National Notary Association

19 Sep 2022

Hello. We are sorry, but those are legal questions that you would need to contact a qualified attorney to answer.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.