Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Can I notarize for visitors from other states or countries?

Photo of woman with long dark hair on phone. She is looking at papers in her hand. Text on image reads NNA Hotline Tip.

On page 8 of the 'Complete How-To Guide For Notaries,' it states, "As public officials, Notaries are commissioned to serve all persons in their jurisdictions." Does this mean that I can serve residents of other states/countries as long as they are requiring a notarial act in Washington state? i.e. A resident of Canada selling a home that is located in Washington state? — A.C., Washington

Yes, you may notarize a document for a signer regardless of their residence or legal status as long as they are located in Washington state when you notarize.

For related information, please see our YouTube video “Can I notarize documents in other states or countries?

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline consultants to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

31 Mar 2024

Thank you

David E Watson

08 Apr 2024

Thanks for info

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.