Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

What do I do if a signer has me notarize the wrong document?

I notarized a deed for someone, and he later discovered it was the wrong document. What should be done? — R. W., Texas

The individual should seek legal advice or consult with the receiving agency on how to correct the error and what to do next.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline consultants to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

View All: Hotline Tips

1 Comment

Add your comment

Joe Ewing

23 Nov 2020

So you attached a Jurat to the deed and it was rejected by the county recorder? You need to re-notarize the document with the correct attachment.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.