Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

May I Certify Copies Of College Transcripts?

New Hotline Resized 3I am receiving requests to certify copies of college transcripts from a major university.  Can I do this? — E.L., California

No. California Notaries may not certify copies of documents except for copies of powers of attorney. An alternative may be for the signer to write their own statement certifying the truthfulness and accuracy of the copies and then sign the statement. They would then tell you whether to perform an acknowledgment or jurat. The signer may check with the receiving agency to see if it will accept this procedure.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.




View All: Hotline Tips

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.