Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

May I Notarize A Document Without Charging A Fee?

NNA Notary Hotline Tip Logo

I have been asked to help notarize documents for a charity. Is it ok for me to do pro bono Notary work for the charity?  Is there any reason not to? B.B., California

You may perform Notary services pro bono. There is no prohibition in California state law for doing so.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.


View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

Claudia Grove

23 Oct 2017

I recently got married and need to change/notify the state of California and get my new stamp and such. How do I notify them and what else do I need to do?

National Notary Association

24 Oct 2017

Hello. Instructions for changing your name on your CA Notary commission can be found here:

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.