Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

What Do I Do With My Journals When I Stop Being A Notary?

NNA Hotline Tip Logo

I no longer am a Notary and need to turn in my journal. What is the procedure?J.S., California

Once you stop being a Notary, you need to turn in all your journals to the county clerk’s office where you filed your bond and do so within 30 days.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

Related Articles:

What To Do With Old Notary Seals

What Every Notary Needs To Know About Journals


View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

Tammy Kirby

09 May 2016

I work in the Citrus County Clerk of Court and Comptroller's office (FL). Bonds are not recorded with our office, where would I turn in my journal once I am no longer a notary? We have never actually had someone come in to turn in a journal.........

Leila toubia

10 Jul 2019

How do I quit being a notary

National Notary Association

22 Jul 2019

Hello. To help us answer your question, can you please let us know what state you are commissioned in?

Anita B Rettig

04 Jan 2021

commissioned in MO

National Notary Association

06 Jan 2021

“Upon resignation, revocation, or expiration of a notary commission, or death of the notary, the journal and notarial records shall be delivered to the secretary in accordance with [RSMo] section 486.795 or [RSMo] section 486.800 by any means providing a tangible receipt, including certified mail and electronic transmission” (RSMo 486.715.3).

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.