Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Can I Use An Out-Of-State ID To Apply For A Notary Commission?

NNA Hotline Tips For NotariesI am a Colorado Notary who is about to move to Texas, and I’d like to apply for a Texas Notary commission. Can I do that even though I still have my Colorado driver’s license?T.W., Denver, CO

When you apply for your Texas Notary commission, you must provide evidence that you are a legal resident of the State of Texas. As long as you can provide some form of proof of legal residence, the fact that you want to use your Colorado driver’s license as identification should not be a problem.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call (888) 876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST

View All: Hotline Tips

1 Comment

Add your comment


04 Aug 2014

Why would you apply for a notary and not bother to correct your drivers license? If you are living in a state, isn't if customary to have a valid drivers license in that state?

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.