Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Hotline Tip: Dealing With An Out-Of-State Venue

New Hotline Resized 3I have been asked to notarize a Deed of Trust for a property in Virginia. As the acknowledgment is prefilled with the state of Virginia and the county therein, can I notarize this document as a Florida Notary? L.B., Tampa, FL

Yes, you can notarize the Deed of Trust. However, the “venue” part of the notarial certificate must reflect the state and county where you are performing the notarization. You can simply draw a line through the incorrect state and county, initial it, and then write in the State of Florida and the county where you are performing the notarization.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. –The Editors

Kelle Clarke is a Contributing Editor with the National Notary Association.

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call (888) 876-0827Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST


View All: Hotline Tips

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.