Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Hotline Tip: How Do I Find Out What Notarial Act Is Required?

NNA Hotline Tips For NotariesAn individual brought me a written statement he had made and wants it notarized. Would this be notarized using an acknowledgment or a jurat?  K.H., Duarte, California

Always remember that the Notary may not select the type of notarization on behalf of the signer. If there is not pre-printed notarial certificate wording on the document that indicates the type of notarial act needed, you may describe the difference between an acknowledgment and a jurat to the signer and let the signer choose one or the other. If the signer is still uncertain at this point, the signer should contact the document’s issuing or receiving agency for assistance.


Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call (888) 876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST

View All: Hotline Tips

1 Comment

Add your comment

Preston Walrath

11 Jul 2014

I have been ask to notarize proof of being alive from a foreign country in California, can I notarize? The California handbook states I can notarize a foreign document but I thought I read something from the NNA that I should not notarize one of these documents?

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.