Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Can I use my Notary commission to perform a wedding in a foreign country?

Photo of woman with long dark hair on phone. She is looking at papers in her hand. Text on image reads NNA Hotline Tip.

I have two Florida residents who are pulling a marriage license from Florida. It will be filed in Florida. I am a Florida resident and Notary. They are getting married in Canada and want me to perform the ceremony in Canada. Am I able to perform a marriage ceremony in Canada?T. R., Florida

No. You must be physically located in Florida to perform a marriage ceremony.

For more information about officiating weddings as a Notary or in a non-Notary role, please see our Notary Bulletin article on wedding officiants.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline consultants to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

View All: Hotline Tips

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.