Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Can I notarize an immigration document if I'm an immigration consultant?

Photo of woman with long dark hair on phone. She is looking at papers in her hand. Text on image reads NNA Hotline Tip.

Can a Notary notarize an immigration document if the Notary is a bonded immigration consultant and helped fill in the data on the document?B. K., California

Yes. Government Code 8223(b) authorizes a California Notary who is qualified and bonded as an immigration consultant to notarize forms they complete as an immigration consultant, provided the fee charged for completing the forms is no more than $15 per individual for each set of forms and the fee charged for notarizing the forms are not more than allowed by Government Code 8211.

Please note that some other states have strict rules regarding Notaries advertising or providing immigration consultant services, and some states prohibit Notaries from offering immigration-related services. For information on other states, please see this page, “State Rules on Immigration Consulting and Assistance Services.”

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline consultants to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

lisa fitzgerald

09 Jun 2023

Does the NNA have a list of notaries in CA who are qualified and bonded as immigration consultants & therefor can fill out/sign section 2 of an i-9? Or where would one find such a list?

National Notary Association

12 Jun 2023

Hello. We're sorry, we do not have that information. However, the California Secretary of State's office has a page where you can search if an individual is a bonded immigration consultant in California here:

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.