Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

May I Use Notary Acknowledgment Wording From Another State?

New Hotline Resized 3If a document is being notarized in Texas but will be filed in California, can the Texas Notary use a Texas acknowledgment form, or do they have to use the California acknowledgment form? — S.A., California

The Texas Notary does not need to use a California acknowledgment. California Civil Code 1189(b) provides that any document acknowledged in another state will be accepted in the state of California if it is notarized according to the laws of the state in which the notarization is performed. This includes using a state-specific acknowledgment form.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

View All: Hotline Tips

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.