Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Hotline Tip: Can I Perform An Overseas Marriage Ceremony?

New Hotline Resized 3I am a Florida Notary who performs wedding ceremonies. I have friends who are current Florida residents who have asked me to perform their marriage ceremony — only, they’re getting married next summer in Italy. Can I perform their overseas wedding ceremony, and, if so, what steps do I need to take? – M.C., Sarasota, FL

While you can perform marriages as a Florida Notary, you can only perform the marriage service within the borders of the State of Florida. Your Notary jurisdiction (authority) is within the borders of the State of Florida, so you cannot perform the marriage outside of the state of Florida.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. –The Editors

Kelle Clarke is a Contributing Editor with the National Notary Association.


Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call (888) 876-0827Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

Jean Franklin

31 Jan 2017

Can a notary in Oklahoma perform a marriage ceremony

National Notary Association

01 Feb 2017

Hi Jean. Sorry, but Notaries in Oklahoma are not authorized to officiate weddings.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.