Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Notary Bulletin

May I Notarize The Signatures Of Children?

NNA Hotline Tip Logo

My attorney wants me to notarize the signatures of a client as well as his five children. I have never heard of notarizing a child’s signature.  Can this be done and if so how?M.M., California

Yes, under certain circumstances you may notarize the signature of a minor. California does not directly address notarizing for minors. To notarize for an individual of any age, including minors, they must be properly identified. The minor should understand what they are signing, and be able to sign the document.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.



View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment


10 Jan 2017

A few months ago, a couple that were not from this country, had come in with their infant child and were going to travel back to their native land but needed to have documentation of their child notarized. In all the years that I've been a notary for my employer, I had not come across a situation such as this. I had an idea of what I should do, but to be certain, I called the NNA hotline, who reassured me that what I thought I needed to do was indeed correct. Thank you, NNA hotline!

Susanne Pellicano

11 Jan 2017

I was wondering what type of identification you can use for a minor when notarizing their signature at the request of a parent? Especially one that is not old enough to have a drivers license.

National Notary Association

11 Jan 2017

Hi Susanne. A minor would still need to present proof of identity as listed in your state's laws. Depending on what state you are commissioned in, for example, a minor without a driver's license might use a passport or other form of identification acceptable under state law. If a minor doesn't have an appropriate identification document, the minor might need to be identified by one or more credible identifying witnesses.


06 Aug 2020

Can credible witnesses be used to confirm a minor’s identity for notary purposes in the state of California?

National Notary Association

07 Aug 2020

Hello. Yes, provided the credible witnesses meet all requirements of California Notary law.


17 Aug 2020

Can my mother notarize a document for me if i am over the age of 18?

National Notary Association

17 Aug 2020

Hello. To help us answer your question, can you please tell us what state you are located in?


02 Dec 2020

Hello, I am commissioned in Texas and I had someone ask me if I can notarize a document to request a death certificate in California. They would be asking on behalf of the child ( son to the deceased) can I do this?

National Notary Association

04 Dec 2020

Based on what you’ve described, we think it would be best if you contacted our Hotline team by phone and provided them with a more detailed description of the situation. The NNA Hotline: 1-888-876-0827 Mon – Fri: 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (PT) Saturday: 5:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (PT) If you’re not an NNA Member or Hotline Subscriber, they will provide you with a one-time courtesy call.

Margarita Alfaro

15 Jun 2021

Commissioner in California. I need to notarize for a father who granted permission for child to leave on vacation out of California without Notarized letter. Now children can’t return back home because they must have a notarized letter from father. The Father’s is undocumented not legally in the state of California and his matricula consular is expired. What other documents would be good enough to accept and Notarize?

National Notary Association

17 Jun 2021

Hello. Please see this article for information on types of acceptable signer ID in California:

Amber Giatche

11 Aug 2021

Can an minor with no ID get a signature motorized in the stage of Michigan?

National Notary Association

13 Aug 2021

“A notary public has satisfactory evidence that a person is the person whose signature is on a record if that person is any of the following: “(a) Personally known to the notary public. “(b) Identified upon the oath or affirmation of a credible witness personally known by the notary public and who personally knows the person. “(c) Identified on the basis of a current license, identification card, or record issued by a federal or state government that contains the person’s photograph and signature” (MCL 55.285[6]).” “When performing a notarial act, you should… [i]dentify the individual either from personal knowledge or satisfactory evidence. If you do not personally know the individual who is requesting a notarial act, ask to see a driver license, passport or state issued personal identification card. You can also identify an individual upon the oath or affirmation of a credible witness if you personally know the witness and the witness personally knows the individual” (Michigan Department of State website, “Notarization of Document(s)”).

Bronwen Rose

06 Oct 2021

I am going through a custody battle with my exhusband. We live in California. He took our 16 yr old son out of our town/county and enrolled him in a new high school without my knowledge/consent. He signed a Residential Affidavit with the school (provided false info) and had it notarized and provided to the school knowing it was false info. Is this legal? (NOTE: He returned back to the town we both live in but left our son at a friends house.). In court, he provided a letter from our son to the judge, also notarized by a different notary, but the Acknowledgment provided doesn’t include a fee, or description of what was notarized. My son doesn’t have any govt issued ID - he doesn’t drive and his father can’t find his passport. The notary I spoke to was unaware my son was under 18 years. Should I question further before going to court again? Thanks!

National Notary Association

07 Oct 2021

Hello. We're sorry, but any legal questions about your situation would need to be answered by a qualified attorney.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.