Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

How Do I Complete A Notary Certificate If I Live In A Different State?

New Hotline Resized 3I live in Indiana and work in Kentucky, where I have my commission. Many of the documents I notarize for work have a pre-printed line reading “Resident of _________________ County”. I am not a resident of Kentucky, and I do not know how to address that blank.  Please advise.S.H. Kentucky

A Notary always must complete the certificate wording with accurate information. In this case, you would enter the county where you reside, even if it is in another state. Since you live in Indiana, we recommend modifying the pre-printed line to read “Resident of _____________ County, Indiana” to make it clear that although you have a valid Kentucky Notary commission, you reside out of state.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.



View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

Erna Martin

24 Jun 2018

Certificate If I Live In A Different State? I was reading this article and I was always trained you should notarize the document for the county you were standing in at the time of the notarization. If the person has their commission in KY where they live should not matter. Is that not correct? But at the same time they should not be notarizing any documents in IN. Correct?

National Notary Association

27 Jun 2018

Hello. It is permissible in some jurisdictions to hold a Notary commission and notarize in one state, but reside in a bordering state. Please see this article for more information:

12 Aug 2021

Notary public in and for the state of Washington Residing at....?

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.