Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Can I Transfer My Notary Commission If I Move Out Of State?

NNA Hotline Tip Logo

I am currently a California Notary, but I am going to be moving to Colorado. Do I need to turn in my California Notary journals and retake the exam in Colorado in order to continue being a Notary? Or is there a more convenient way to “transfer” my commission to Colorado? D.N., California

Each state has its own application process, so Notary commissions, unfortunately, are not transferable between states.

There is a specific protocol you must follow when resigning your position in California. First, to officially resign your Notary commission, you will need to send a letter to the Secretary of State. Second, you will need to submit your Notary journals to your county recorder’s office within 30 days from your resignation. You must also destroy your seal stamp and/or seal embosser as they could otherwise be used to commit fraud.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.


Add your comment

Elizabeth bolint

08 Nov 2016

What if you own residential or commercial property in two states. And you spend a significant amount of time in both states. Can you be a notary on both states?

National Notary Association

09 Nov 2016

Hi Elizabeth. It depends on the laws of the states in question. Can you be more specific which ones, please?

Marta Iris Castro

09 Mar 2017

We are planning to move from Delaware to Florida. What will my process be to continue being a notary.

National Notary Association

10 Mar 2017

Hello. You will need to resign your Delaware commission and apply for a new commission in Florida.


16 Mar 2017

If you are a notary in California and decides to move to you must resign as notary in California even if you wont apply to become a notary in Nevada. Can you just let the current california notary commission expire and then turn in the journals to the county recorder in california?

National Notary Association

17 Mar 2017

Hello. California Government Code Section 8209 states that if a CA Notary resigns his or her commission or allows the commission to expire, the Notary must deliver all notarial journals, records, and papers to the county clerk's office where the Notary's oath of office is filed within 30 days. The Secretary of State's Notary Public Handbook, page 23, advises Notaries to send a letter of resignation to the Secretary of the State's office if the Notary wishes to resign his or her commission.


02 May 2017

What if i am moving from california to texas and i have a resdential address for both states?

National Notary Association

04 May 2017

Hello. You cannot transfer a CA Notary commission to Texas. You would have to apply for a new Notary commission in Texas when you move.


13 Jul 2017

What if someone is a notary and they move to another state for a year and then move back to the state in which they are a notary and is a resident again. Is the notary still valid or will they need to reapply?

National Notary Association

14 Jul 2017

Hello Ann. To help us answer your question, can you specify which states you are referring to?

Sharon A Bersey

19 Jul 2017

I'm moving from Florida to Louisiana what do I need to do to transfer my Notary to Louisiana

National Notary Association

24 Jul 2017

Hello. A Florida commission is not transferable to another state. You would have to resign your Notary commission and apply for a new commission in Louisiana. Please be aware that Louisiana Notary qualifications, training, testing requirements and duties are significantly different than in Florida.

Marcy Montano

13 Aug 2017

Can i transfer my Connecticut notary to florida

National Notary Association

14 Aug 2017

Hello. No, Notary commissions are not transferable between states. If you are moving to Florida, you would need to meet that state's commissioning requirements first then apply for a new commission in Florida.


16 Aug 2017

I will be moving from Florida. I do not recall that I was required to turn in any documents - I have them all but I did allow my commission to expire some time ago and then recently reapplied per my employer. I will now be leaving the state, I may or may not apply in Indiana.

National Notary Association

16 Aug 2017

Hello Dani. If you're referring to your journal records, while Florida does not require a journal by law, if you keep one the Governor's office recommends retaining your completed journal for at least five years after the last date of entry.


24 Aug 2017

If I was a Notary Public for the State of California, and I've recently moved to Arizona and want to reapply for an Arizona commission, can I still use the $5000 bond that I purchased in California, or do I have to repurchase another $5000 bond here in Arizona?

National Notary Association

25 Aug 2017

Hello. Arizona law requires the surety bond to be obtained from a state-licensed surety and the bond must be effective for four years, beginning exactly on the effective date of the Notary’s commission. The bond’s effective date may not overlap the expiration date of any previous bond, even by one day. Finally the bond must not be issued more than 60 days before or 30 days after its effective date (ARS 41-312[B] and 41-315[A] and [B]; AAC R2-12-1103[A]; RM).

Gail R

19 Sep 2017

Can I keep a notary license for more than one state at a time if you take and pass the state's law.

National Notary Association

20 Sep 2017

Hello. To help us answer your question, can you please tell us what state you are located in and what other state you are interested in obtaining a commission for?


09 Nov 2017

When changing from Virginia to North Carolina will I need to take your learning course and exam again?

National Notary Association

09 Nov 2017

Hello Paul. Can you please clarify which course you are referring to?

26 Dec 2017

i'm a notary in california, I have both house in california and florida. i live in florida for the summer june 1 - august 31, the rest of the year i live in california. can I do notary while i'm in florida for the summer. if so how can I do that, please give me some advice. Thank you very much!

National Notary Association

05 Jan 2018

Hello. You must be a legal resident of Florida in order to hold a Notary commission there. Part-time residents may not hold a Florida Notary commission.


08 Jan 2018

Can I hold a Notary Commission in both TX and NY if I reside in TX?

National Notary Association

09 Jan 2018

Hello. To hold a New York commission you must be a resident of New York or have an office or place of business within New York.


29 Jan 2018

If I am moving to AZ but don't want to do notary there and move back to CA can I still keep my commission or do I have to automatically cancel when I move out of state? if I do cancel when happens when I come back do I start process all over again?

National Notary Association

30 Jan 2018

Hello. You would have to resign your CA commission if you move out of state. Should you return to California, you would need to apply for a new commission.

06 Apr 2018

I'm moving to Georgia soon and would like to continue being a signing agent. What do I need to do?

National Notary Association

06 Apr 2018

Hello. Only a lender or a licensed Georgia attorney may conduct settlements and disburse closing funds in the state; and the law further prohibits anyone other than the settlement agent for the entire transaction from overseeing the closing session (OCGA 44-14-13[10]).


13 Apr 2018


National Notary Association

13 Apr 2018

Hello. Notary commissions are not transferable between states. If you wish to obtain a New Jersey commission, you will have to check if you qualify for a Notary commission in that state and submit an application for a new commission there.


06 May 2018

My Notary Public commission expired in Maryland. I am re-applying in the state of Florida, do I have to resign as Notary Public in Maryland?, even though it expired in 2018?

National Notary Association

07 May 2018

Hello. If your Maryland commission has already expired and you have chosen not to renew, you do not need to take additional steps to resign the commission. You will need to keep your registry (Notary journal) for at least five years.

Chrysty Carroll

07 May 2018

I am a notary in Georgia but just recently moved to Florida and would like to be a notary here. Am I able to transfer? If not, do I just apply as a "new" notary? Thank you.

National Notary Association

07 May 2018

Hello. No, Notary commissions are not transferable between states. You would need to resign your Georgia commission and apply for a new commission in Florida.

Priscilla Dewaele

16 Jun 2018

Can I have two completely different commission in two different states? Ex California and Illinois

National Notary Association

18 Jun 2018

Hello Priscilla. The answer to your question depends on what two states are involved. However, in the example you provided, it is not possible to hold simultaneous commissions in California and Illinois because each state's residency requirements for a commission are incompatible. (Illinois requires Notaries to live in the state or a bordering state, and California does not permit nonresidents to apply for CA commissions.)


19 Jul 2018

I am a notary in texas and moved to CO for a couple years and am now back in Texas and my notary in Texas will not expire until 2020 is it still valid?

National Notary Association

24 Jul 2018

Hello. No, you will need to apply for a new Texas Notary commission, since out of state residents may not serve as Texas Notaries. Notaries who move their residence from Texas automatically vacate the office (GC 406.020; 1 TAC 87.50[c]).


26 Jul 2018

Hi, I have notary commission from Kings County (Brooklyn), New York and live in Brooklyn, NY. But, I work in New York city. I'm planing to move to Pennsylvanian soon, but will continue to work in New York city. Can I keep my New York notary commission?

National Notary Association

27 Jul 2018

Hello. A Notary resident of New York State who moves out of state but still maintains a place of business in the state may remain a Notary; otherwise, the office of Notary is thereby vacated (EL 130).


13 Aug 2018

I live in GA but work in Florida (I live on the state line) Can I get my notary in Fla?

National Notary Association

15 Aug 2018

Hello. No, only Florida residents may apply for a Florida Notary commission.


05 Sep 2018

I will be living in 2 different states 6 months at a time, can I apply for a second Notary commision so I can hold it in both states?

National Notary Association

05 Sep 2018

Hello. To help us answer your question can you please tell us what two states you will be residing in?

Liliana Rust

07 Sep 2018

Indiana and Arizona

National Notary Association

07 Sep 2018

Hello. No, Indiana requires Notaries to be full-time, permanent legal residents. If at any time an Indiana Notary ceases to be a full-time resident of the state of Indiana, their commission becomes invalid and must be relinquished. An Indiana notary cannot reside or claim primary residency anywhere outside of this state. Arizona requires a Notary to either be a registered voter in Arizona or list Arizona as the state of permanent residence for income tax purposes. You would have to give up your commission in whatever state you do not meet the permanent residence requirements in.


07 Sep 2018

I am a CO notary and will be moving to WA, but will still be employed by my same company based in CO (I will be working remotely). Can I maintain my CO notary?

National Notary Association

07 Sep 2018

Hello. A Colorado Notary must be a permanent resident of the state or have a place of employment in the state. We would recommend contacting the Colorado Secretary of State's Notary program at 1-303-894-2200 to ask them if remote employment with a Colorado business will allow you to meet this requirement.


18 Sep 2018

I live and do business in NYS. I will be moving right over state border to CT, can i keep my NYS notary since I will continur business in NYS?

National Notary Association

18 Sep 2018

Hello. A New York Notary who moves out of state but still maintains a place of business in New York may remain a Notary; otherwise your commission is vacated (EL 130). You will need to file a change of address form with the Department of State's Division of Licensing Services.


27 Sep 2018

Hello. I hold a notary commission in California and will be moving to Nevada for a year and be traveling back and forth after. Is it possible to hold a commission in California and acquire a new commission in Nevada for the time I’m in Nevada? In other words can I hold to commissions at the same time from two states?

National Notary Association

28 Sep 2018

Hello. It will not be possible for you to hold a CA Notary commission if you move to Nevada. California does not permit out-of-state residents to hold CA Notary commissions.


08 Nov 2018

Can I hold notary commissions in both California and Colorado if I have residences & employment in states?

National Notary Association

08 Nov 2018

Hello. Colorado applicants must either be a resident or have a place of employment in the state (CRS 24-21-521[3]). California applicants must be a legal resident of California (GC 8201).

Roberto Rivera

11 Dec 2018

I'm a Notary in the state of California, can I obtain a Notary commission in Nevada whilst maintaining the Notary commission in California?

National Notary Association

13 Dec 2018

Hello. To be eligible for a Nevada commission, you would need to maintain or be employed at a licensed place of business in Nevada (NRS 240.015).


08 Jan 2019

If I am a notary in New York and have a job in New York and a home in New York and am buying a condo in Florida and live in New York for six months and Florida for six months, can I be a notary in both states? I need a notary to work.

National Notary Association

11 Jan 2019

Hello. Yes, it is possible. In order to hold a New York commission, you must either be a resident or have an office or place of business in the state. To hold a commission in Florida, you must be a legal resident of Florida. This website has additional information on the qualifications for Florida residency:

Kristlee Harvey

19 Feb 2019

Hello! I'm a notary from NJ that has recently moved to TN. What is the process of replacing or renewing my license. I don't assume I can keep my NJ one. I had to ask.

National Notary Association

20 Feb 2019

Hello. You will need to apply for a new Notary commission in Tennessee. You will need to either obtain an application form from your local county clerk's office or you can contact the NNA for assistance in applying for a commission at 1-800-876-6827.

Aydil M Torres

21 Feb 2019

I am a freelance court reporter in NY, and so have my notary strictly to swear in witnesses. I am planning on moving to Florida and working as a freelance stenographer there. I can at times take telephonic depositions with and for my NY clients. Can I keep my NY notary and do I have to retake the test in Florida?

National Notary Association

22 Feb 2019

Hello. In order to hold a NY Notary commission, you must either be a resident of New York or have a place of business in the state. If you are moving out of state and will no longer be working in New York, you will need to resign your NY commission and apply for a new Notary commission in Florida.


05 Apr 2019

I’m a notary in SC but have moved to NC. What do I need to do to become a notary in NC?

National Notary Association

08 Apr 2019

Hello. Here are links to information and a video on becoming a North Carolina Notary:


02 Jul 2019

I hold a notary in Florida and will be moving to South Carolina. Do I need to re-do the course and exam from scratch or can I transfer my notary from one state to another?

National Notary Association

03 Jul 2019

Hello. Notary commissions are not transferable between states. You would have to apply for a new Notary commission after you move to South Carolina.


25 Sep 2019

I hold a Minnesota notary currently. I live in Iowa work in Minnesota. I am changing jobs and going to work in Iowa, but my current company would still like me to notarize documents for them. If I surrender my Minnesota notary and get an Iowa one will I still be able to notarize the Minnesota documents.

National Notary Association

27 Sep 2019

Hello. An Iowa Notary commission would only authorize you to perform notarizations within the borders of Iowa. You would not be able to notarize when located in Minnesota.


09 Oct 2019

I am a notary in Massachusetts for work related services only. I am moving to New Hampshire and staying at my job in MA (not a far drive). I will not be notarizing anything in NH, or any state other than MA. Do I need to take any action?

National Notary Association

10 Oct 2019

“Within 10 days after the change of a notary public’s name, residence, business address or mailing address, the notary public shall send to the state secretary a signed notice of the change, providing both the old and new information” (GL 222, Sec. 25). The Public Records Division at 617-727-2836 can answer questions about name and address changes, and provide up-to-date contact information for any Notary. A Notary with a name change may continue to notarize with the former name until commission expiration. A form to register a change of address or name may be obtained online at

Jody M Brown

22 Oct 2019

I live in Florida and have a notary in Florida. I will be going to Georgia to help take care of family. Can I hold a notary in Florida and in Georgia? I will be going back and forth to take care of family and I have a business that I assist here in Florida as a notary, so I do not want to give up my Florida notary. So I would like to also get one in Georgia, is that an option?

National Notary Association

24 Oct 2019

Hello. In order to be eligible for a Georgia Notary commission, you would need to be regularly employed or carrying out a business or profession in the Georgia county in which application is made (OCGA 45-17-2).

Michele Polanis

19 Dec 2019

I recently moved to NY from PA. I am working remotely for my PA employer. Can I keep my PA notary or do I need to get a NY notary

National Notary Association

20 Dec 2019

Hello. You will need to file a change of address form with the PA Department of State within 30 days of your move. If you are still employed by an office in Pennsylvania, you may still be eligible to continue as a PA Notary. However, please be aware that if you continue as a PA Notary, you may still only perform notarizations within the borders of Pennsylvania. In order to perform notarizations in NY state, you will need to apply for a NY Notary commission.

Nancy W

10 Jan 2020

Hello! I currently live in CA and was going to start the process to apply, however I am moving to Nevada in June - would it be best to just wait until I move to Nevada to become a notary there?

National Notary Association

10 Jan 2020

Hello. Yes, as you would need to resign your CA commission anyway when you move out of state.

Jennifer Gooch

26 Feb 2020

Hi. I am a NC notary and am moving just out of state to VA. I will continue to work for the company that I notarize documents for in NC and will commute there from's literally just over the line. Do I transfer from NC notary to a company notary?

National Notary Association

27 Feb 2020

Hello. A person who lives outside of NC but still has a place of business within the state may still be eligible for a NC Notary commission. “Within 45 days after the change of a notary’s residence, business, or any mailing address or telephone number, the notary shall send to the Secretary by fax, email, or certified mail, return receipt requested, a signed notice of the change, giving both old and new addresses or telephone numbers” (GS 10B-50). You should contact the Secretary of State's office at 1-919-807-2219 to ask if moving out of state will require you to apply for a new commission and seal.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.