Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Three Tax Mistakes Notaries Should Avoid

Self-Employment and Small Business Tax Mistakes to AvoidUpdated 1-26-16 for 2015 tax year. April 18 is just a short time away, and that means it’s time for Notaries to get their tax returns in to the IRS. But be careful not to make mistakes that can cost you a refund. Paul Dion, CPA and author of the book “The Ten Most Expensive Tax Mistakes that cost Real Estate Agents Thousands,” shared three tax errors Notaries should look out for when filing self-employment or small business taxes.

1. Not asking your tax adviser about possible small business tax deductions.

Dion says many of his clients assume that part of their business isn’t deductible, only to ask him later and find out they can claim it. Don’t be afraid to ask your tax adviser about possible Notary business deductions, he urged. “Be open with your tax adviser — ask lots of questions,” Dion said. For example, Dion said commission renewal fees, professional association membership dues and E&O policies can often be claimed as deductions.

2. Not documenting your travel mileage.

If you are a Notary signing agent or offer other mobile Notary services, you can deduct your travel mileage for assignments — but only if you document it thoroughly, Dion said. “Keep good records, or the IRS will not allow you to use your mileage as a deduction,” he said.

3. Not keeping track of gifts to clients.

Notaries who provide gift cards, stationery or other complimentary items to signers need to know that the IRS limits gifts to clients to a maximum value of $25 per person per year. Dion said Notaries who provide complimentary or promotional items to clients should consult with a tax professional to determine if they qualify as gifts or marketing expenses.

Remember that each Notary’s tax situation may be different. If you have questions about your specific tax situation, consult with a qualified tax preparer or adviser.

David Thun is an Associate Editor at the National Notary Association.

1 Comment

Add your comment

Stanley Walker

22 Jul 2015

When I filed my 2014 tax return I checked the box about notary income and did not pay self employment taxes for 2014. My first year as a notary. If I file an amended return for 2014 and uncheck the notary income box will I pay the self employment tax? Over all for 2014 my notary business operated as a loss.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.