Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

How do I get a new Notary stamp if I change my name?

Photo of woman with long dark hair on phone. She is looking at papers in her hand. Text on image reads NNA Hotline Tip.

What is the process of changing my registered name and getting a new stamp? I got married this year and just changed my last name.C.G., Illinois

You must resign your Notary commission and reapply for a new commission in your new name (5 ILCS 312/4-101[a]).

“If you have moved from the county where you are registered or wish to change the name you are commissioned under, you must resign that commission and reapply for commission as a notary public.” (Illinois Notary Public Handbook)

For information on updating changes of name and address for Notaries in other states, please see our article, “What Notaries need to know about name and address changes.”

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline consultants to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment


05 Feb 2024

Do I have to change my notary registration & stamp if I still have my maiden name hyphened with my new last name after getting married?

National Notary Association

05 Feb 2024

Hello. To help us answer your question, can you please tell us what state you are commissioned in?

15 Feb 2024

I have to change my last name on my notary stamp.

National Notary Association

15 Feb 2024

Hello. If you purchased your stamp through the NNA, please contact our Customer Care team at or 1-800-876-6827 and one of our representatives can assist you.

22 Feb 2024

I need to get my last name changed on this site to purchase an eseal. I already have a new stamp and commission. Please advise.

National Notary Association

22 Feb 2024

Hello. Please contact our Customer Care team at or 1-800-876-6827 and one of our representatives can assist you.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.