Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Notary Bulletin

What Notaries Need To Know About Name And Address Changes

Moving-resized.jpgUpdated 1-5-21. Getting married? Moving to a new home? Relocating your business? If you need to update your name or address on your Notary commission, here are some important tips you need to be aware of.

1. Know And Follow Your State’s Rules For Notary Name And Address Changes

When it comes to updating name or address information on a Notary commission, no 2 states are exactly alike.

Arizona Notaries must report a change in surname due to marriage to the Secretary of State, but may continue to notarize using their existing commission and seal with the old surname until their commission expires. California Notaries must fill out an official name change form when changing their name on a Notary commission. However, when changing their address, they instead must send the Secretary of State’s office a notification letter using certified mail or another means of delivery that produces a receipt. Texas Notaries, on the other hand, must fill out two different official forms — Form 2305 and 2302 — when changing their name or address, respectively. Texas Notaries may also update an address online. Colorado requires Notaries requesting a name change to submit a handwriting sample. When an Illinois Notary makes a name change, the Notary must resign their current commission and apply for a new one under the new name. Always be sure to follow your state’s rules when changing information on your Notary commission. Oklahoma gives its Notaries two options: either they may not report the name change and continue to notarize in the old name or file for a new commission in the new name.

2. Don’t Delay When Submitting A Notary Information Change

It’s important not to procrastinate if you need to update your name or address on your commission. Several states require Notaries to submit notification of any changes within a certain time limit, and you need to make sure you have enough time to complete any required steps. This is especially important during COVID-19, as many state Notary agencies are experiencing processing delays or office closures due to the coronavirus. For example, Florida requires its Notaries to apply for an amended commission within 60 days after changing their name. California Notaries must submit any address changes to the state within 30 days after moving, while Texas Notaries have 10 days after relocating to submit a change of address form.

3. You May Need To Purchase A New Seal

Some states, such as Arizona, permit a Notary who changes his or her name to notarize using their former name and seal until their current commission expires. Others, such as California and Texas, require their Notaries to purchase a new seal after changing the name on a commission.

4. Moving Out Of State May End Your Commission

Be aware that in some states, including California and Utah, moving out of state automatically terminates your Notary commission. If this happens, you can no longer serve as a Notary in your old state and must apply for a new commission in the state where you now reside. Notaries cannot transfer an existing commission to another state.

5. The NNA Can Help You With Notary Name And Address Changes

NNA members who need help changing their name, address or other information on their commission can contact our Customer Care team for assistance by phone at 1-800-876-6827 or by email at

David Thun is an Associate Editor at the National Notary Association.

View All: Best Practices


Add your comment

Micheline Luciani

28 Jan 2019

why can't I read my magazine?

National Notary Association

28 Jan 2019

Hello. Can you please provide us more details about what kind of issue you are having? For example, are you having an issue receiving your print magazine, or with viewing the magazine on the NNA website?

Robin Yvonne

28 Jan 2019

I can't see the article. It is blanked out.

National Notary Association

28 Jan 2019

Hi Robin. Can you please email us at with a description or screenshot of what you are seeing, and let us know what type of device and browser you are using to view the article?

Lorraine W. Pereverziev

28 Jan 2019

Thank you for this article. So as a California Notary Public, what if my home address has not changed, but I subsequently add a business address and start using that instead of my home address for all my mail - do I need to submit anything to the Secretary of State under such circumstances?

National Notary Association

29 Jan 2019

Hi Lorraine. If you wish to start using your new business address instead of your home address for your Notary commission, you would need send a letter or a change of address form by certified mail, or any other means of physical delivery providing a receipt, to the Secretary of State. (California Government Code section 8213.5.) If you are a NNA member, you can contact our Customer Care team for assistance with this process by phone at 800-876-6827 or

Hilda Tonge

29 Jan 2019

I have never received a mailed magezine.

National Notary Association

29 Jan 2019

Hello. If you are an NNA member and have not received a copy of the magazine, please email us at with your contact information and we will be happy to assist you.


29 Jan 2019

Hello! I passed the Notary Public exam and about to file Notary Public application. Can you be commissioned under a different name (not your legal name) in the state of New York? For example, if my legal name is Jane Doe, can I be commissioned as Jessica Doe and have a seal, stamp, and signature with this name on it? Thank you.

National Notary Association

29 Jan 2019

Based on what you’ve described, we think it would be best if you contacted our Hotline team by phone and provided them with a more detailed description of the situation. The NNA Hotline: 1-888-876-0827 Mon – Fri: 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (PT) Saturday: 5:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (PT) If you’re not an NNA Member or Hotline Subscriber, they will provide you with a one-time courtesy call.

Sandra Gonzalez

31 Jan 2019

I I'm a notary in the state of Virginia. Do I need to change my seal from my former name or can I continue to write notarized as blank blank blank

National Notary Association

06 Feb 2019

Traditional Notaries in Virginia who change their name in the course of a commission term are directed by the state to continue using the seal issued in the old name until the commission expires, at which time the Notary may apply for recommissioning in the new name and purchase a new seal (HNP). To avoid confusion between a signature in one name and a seal in another, “any notary ... who shall legally change his name during his term of office as a notary shall, after such change of name, when performing any notarial act, have written or printed in or annexed to his certificate the words: ‘I was commissioned a notary as _______________,’ or the equivalent” (COV 47.1-17). In contrast, “any electronic notary public who shall legally change his name shall make application with the Secretary for a new electronic notary commission within 90 days of such legal name change” (COV 47.1-17). Upon receipt of the new commission, the Notary must obtain a new electronic Notary seal bearing the new name (VENAS 2.1[b][i]).

Leiland Pierce

09 Mar 2019

How can you notify California that a notary has moved from their registered address more 90 days ago & has not sent the appropriate info in?

National Notary Association

11 Mar 2019

Hello. If you wish to file a complaint against a CA Notary, you can do so online at You can also contact the state Notary Public Section at 1-916-653-3595.

Patricia Garrett

24 Oct 2019

What do I need to do to end my notary commission, as I am moving overseas. Thank you

National Notary Association

25 Oct 2019

Hello Patricia. To help us answer your question, can you please tell us what state you are commissioned in?


06 Jan 2020

Moving from Oklahoma to ArKansas. Do I need to do anything other than a change of address?

National Notary Association

07 Jan 2020

Hello. Unless you will still be employed at a place of business in Oklahoma after you move, you will need to resign your Oklahoma commission and apply for a new Notary commission in Arkansas. If you will still be employed in Oklahoma and wish to maintain your current OK commission, you will need to notify the Oklahoma Secretary of State's office within 30 days after moving in order to maintain your commission.

11 Jan 2020

I am in Oklahoma and I would like to change my mailing address from a previous company to my home address. What do I need to do to change this?

National Notary Association

14 Jan 2020

Hello. If you obtained your commission through the NNA, please contact our Customer Care team at 1-800-876-6827 for assistance. Otherwise, please contact the OK Secretary of State's Notary Division at (405) 521-2516.

Christina Waldrup

11 Jan 2020

When moving from MI to NC, who do I notify of me leaving state?

National Notary Association

14 Jan 2020

You should notify the Michigan Department of State of your change in status: Notary Administration Michigan Department of State Office of the Great Seal 7064 Crowner Drive Lansing, MI 48918 1-888-767-6424


14 Jan 2020

If a California notary moves to another county (still in California), do they have to get a new stamp? The stamp has the original county of issuance on it.

National Notary Association

15 Jan 2020

Because California Notaries have statewide jurisdiction, Notaries who move their principal place of business from one county to another need not refile their oath and bond in the new county. If they choose to do so, however, they must file either a new bond or a duplicate of the original bond and a new oath. Within 30 days of the filing, they must obtain a new seal bearing the name of the new county (GC 8213[b]).

Margarita Ledesma

16 Jan 2020

Thank you for keep us date with the latest related to Notary practices.

Mariah Knopp

02 Aug 2020

I am a new notary in Seattle, WA. When I got my Notary Bond I lived in a different apartment than the one I am in now. I am sending in my Notary Public Commission Application tomorrow, but like I said, I am in a different apartment. Do I need to update and get a new Notary Bond and insurance with my new address?

National Notary Association

03 Aug 2020

Hello. Typically, a surety bond must be effective for a four-year term or for a term that expires on the date the Notary’s commission expires. If you are renewing your commission, you should contact your surety bond provider to renew your bond as well, and ask them if you need to update your information with your new address. If you obtained your bond through the NNA, please contact our Customer Care team at 1-800-876-6827 for assistance.

Michelle Watkins

19 Nov 2020

I am moving to a different county in Indiana. What do I need to do in order to update my address? My commission doesn't expire until 2025

National Notary Association

19 Nov 2020

Hello. Within 30 days after your move, you need to contact the IN Secretary of State's office and notify them of your change of address (IC 33-42-12-3[a]).

Angela Fuller

02 Dec 2020

I am trying to change my address. I have moved since the PANDEMIC. How do I go about this?

National Notary Association

02 Dec 2020

Hello. To help us answer your question can you please tell us what state you are commissioned in, and if you moved within your state or to a new state?

Tera smith

02 Dec 2020

Question on address change that moves counties in AZ. I moved and have done my change of address but wasn’t sure if I had to get a new seal because I changed counties? Do you know that answer to that? Thank you!

National Notary Association

04 Dec 2020

Hello. Arizona does not require Notaries to obtain a new seal when you change your address.

Stuart Williams

11 Jan 2021

If I just change my address within the State of Arizona, do I need to do anything?

National Notary Association

13 Jan 2021

Hello. “Within thirty days after the change of a notary’s mailing, business or residential address, the notary shall deliver to the secretary of state, by certified mail or other means providing a receipt, a signed notice of the change that provides both the old and new addresses” (ARS 41-323.A). For any Notary’s failure to comply, the Secretary of State may impose a civil penalty of $25 (ARS 41-323.C). Address changes may be reported on the Secretary’s website.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.