Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Can I Keep Using My Commission After Relocating Out Of State?

New Hotline Resized 3

I am currently a Notary Public in Alabama and will be relocating Georgia. Will I still be able notarize documents in Georgia? — S.G., Alabama

No, you cannot notarize documents in Georgia with a Notary commission from Alabama. When you move to Georgia, you must resign your commission in Alabama and apply for a new Notary commission in Georgia.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

Deborah A Lagutaris

30 Dec 2019

Could this person continue to notarize Alabama-originated documents for Alabama-based transactions?

National Notary Association

02 Jan 2020

Hello. The answer to your question is no. "A person who resides in another state, but who works in Alabama, cannot be appointed and commissioned as a notary public in this state” (Ala. Atty. Gen. Opinion 95-00289 of August 16, 1995)

Jasmin Keaton

14 Jul 2020

Is that answer specific to Alabama but may not be valid for other states? Can a notary hold commissions from multiple states?

National Notary Association

14 Jul 2020

Hello. The answer depends on individual state Notary laws. For more information, please see this article:

12 Jan 2021

What do I need to do to transfer all my stuff to Arizona? How does that all work?

National Notary Association

13 Jan 2021

Hello. Notary commissions are not transferable between states. If you are planning to move to Arizona and continue as a Notary there, you will need to resign your current commission and apply for a new commission in Arizona. If you need assistance applying for a new AZ commission, you can find help online here:

Donna Blouin

18 Jan 2023

Can I take my notary out of state for work business. Going to MO and my co-worker is from TX.

National Notary Association

23 Jan 2023

Hello. If you are a Notary commissioned in Texas, you may only perform notarizations with your commission when you are physically located within the borders of Texas.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.