Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

May I Notarize A Copy Of A Passport?

New Hotline Resized 3

Am I allowed to notarize a copy of a passport? — J.S., New York

When someone asks you to "notarize a copy of a passport," they are usually asking you to certify a copy of that passport. New York Notaries are not authorized to certify copies of any documents. The signer's citizenship status has no impact on this. If, however, you are being asked to notarize an indivdual's signature on a statement asserting that the attached copy of the indvidual's passport is a true copy, you may do so. 

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

Tom Benken

25 Nov 2019

There probably exists somewhere, a list of items that cannot be notarized.

samantha beasley

03 Dec 2019

Hello- I'm a current notary and I want to know if there's a way I can update my signature. My current signature is long. Please advise.

National Notary Association

11 Dec 2019

Hello. What state are you commissioned in, please?

Marietta M. Hager

10 Jan 2020

I also would like to know if I could update my signature I am currently commissioned in the state of Missouri, please advise

National Notary Association

10 Jan 2020

Hello. If you are referring to changing the name on your Notary commission, Missouri Notaries who change their legal name must, within 30 days of the change, obtain a rider for their bond (if required) and notify the Secretary of State. Such Notaries must be issued an amended commission and therefore must submit a completed “Application for Amended Commission as a Notary Public: Change of Name or Change of County.” Along with the application, the Notary must submit any required bond rider, the current commission certificate and a $5 fee payable by check or money order to the State Director of Revenue. The Secretary of State will notify the appropriate county clerk of the name change. The Notary must also obtain a new seal (stamp and/or embosser) with the new name on it (RSMo 486.300 and MNH).

Sylvia Neyva Barbosa

06 May 2021

Good evening, I have been asked to notarize two foreign passports in FL. they are asking me for an affidavit and acknowledgement forms for me to notarized, I have been looking online and have had no luck. please help, thank you

National Notary Association

11 May 2021

Based on what you’ve described, we think it would be best if you contacted our Hotline team by phone and provided them with a more detailed description of the situation. The NNA Hotline: 1-888-876-0827 Mon – Fri: 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (PT) Saturday: 5:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (PT) If you’re not an NNA Member or Hotline Subscriber, they will provide you with a one-time courtesy call.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.