Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Can I administer an oath of office to an attorney?

Am I authorized as a Notary to administer the California State's Attorney's Oath of Office to a new member of the California State Bar and if so, how do I record this in my journal? — D.A., California

Yes, California law allows Notaries to “administer oaths and affirmation, in all matters incident to the duties of the office, or to be used before any court, judge, officer or board” (GC 8205[a][2]). The type of notarial act you would record in your journal is “oath” and title of document would be “Attorney oath of office”.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT.

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

Nossa Law Office

01 Oct 2021

Great Blog. Thanks for sharing informative blog.

Peggy Sue Iinuma

02 Oct 2021

I’m a notary in Tennessee, but my question is; can I have a number to call anytime that I have a question about how to notarize something that I’m just not 100% sure about.

National Notary Association

06 Oct 2021

Hello. If you're a NNA member you can contact our Notary Hotline team for assistance by phone at 1-888-876-0827. For Hotline phone hours or to submit a question online, please see this page:

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.