Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Notary Bulletin

When do I change my married name on my Notary commission?

My Notary commission will expire in October and I've recently changed my name because I got married. Can I take care of the name change when I apply for my new commission? — A.D., Texas

Yes, you can. You may continue to notarize documents using the name on your current commission. You will be required to notify the state of your name change when you renew your Notary commission.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT.

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

Cherie Van Allen

10 Aug 2021

If I recently moved out of the county that I am commissioned in, how do I go about changing my commission to the new county?

National Notary Association

12 Aug 2021

Hello. To help us answer your question, can you please tell us what state you are commissioned in?

RoseMary G Vizcaino

10 Aug 2021

What if my commission doesnt expire until 2024? Should i still wait to change my name for my notary

National Notary Association

13 Aug 2021

Hello. To help us answer your question, can you please tell us what state you are commissioned in?


24 Aug 2021

Hi, I got married in 2020 but my commision expires in 2023. Do i need to notify the state of NJ of my name change and pay the $30? Or can I still use my notary until it expires?

National Notary Association

10 Sep 2021

Hello. The New Jersey Notary Public Manual says the following: “Whenever a Notary Public adopts a different name, before notarizing any document, he/she must submit a change request with the State Treasurer. Change of name can be performed online.”

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.