Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

What Wording Do I Use For A Document Going To Another State?

New Hotline Resized 3

If a document is being notarized in Texas, but will be filed in California, can the Texas Notary use their own state’s acknowledgment wording, or do they need to use the California acknowledgment wording? S.A., California 

The Notary can use either the California or the Texas acknowledgment certificate.  Any document that is acknowledged in another state can be accepted in the State of California if it is notarized according to the laws of the state where the notarization is performed (CA Civil Code 1189[4][c]). You may want to consider using the Texas certificate instead if you are at all concerned with placing yourself under penalty of perjury under the laws of the state of California.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline consultants to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

View All: Hotline Tips

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.