Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Can I Accept A Signer ID With An Outdated Address?

New Hotline Resized 3The address listed in the driver's license is not the signer's current address. Can I proceed with the notarization?  J.D., California

Yes, though state law does not require you to record the address in your journal. However, as a standard of care, you can record the current address in your journal and make a note that it is different than that shown on the signer's driver's license.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.