Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Do I Need To Record Who Issued An ID In My Journal?

New Hotline Resized 3I have a question regarding documenting identification in my journal. If a signer uses a California driver’s license, do I need to include “DMV” as the issuing agency in the journal entry? C.B., California

Yes, California Notaries must record in their journals the type of identification presented and the issuing agency.  In this case, the Department of Motor Vehicles (or “DMV”) is the issuing agency.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

1 Comment

Add your comment

Julie Brouillette

27 Nov 2018

I just started adding the issuing agency in my journal -- I do not recall EVER hearing this in the training seminar.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.