Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Can I Change A Document Date?

NNA Hotline Tip Logo

If a document was prepared with the wrong date, can I cross out that date and put in the correct one? Also, do I initial that change?S.S., Massachusetts

No. You should not make any change in the document. The signer should check with the receiving agency to address any changes that need to be made. You are only responsible for wording in the Notary certificate. If changes are made to the certificate, you would make the correction and initial the changes.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.


View All: Hotline Tips

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.