Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Notary Bulletin

How Do I Update My Notary Information If I Get Married?

NNA Hotline Tip logo

I have recently married and changed my name. I need a new Notary stamp to reflect it but how do I do this? S.C., Arlington, TX

In order to obtain a Notary stamp in your new name you must change your name on your commission by filing a name change form (Form 2305) that you can download from the Secretary of State’s website. Technically, you aren’t required to change the name on your current commission after you marry as long as you continue to use the name on your current commission and Notary seal for all official acts until your commission expires.

You may change the name on your commission by submitting the following to the Secretary of State:

• A completed Form 2305,

• Your original Notary commission,

• A rider or endorsement to your Notary bond from the bond agency or surety, and

• A $20 filing fee.

All four of these items must be sent at the same time. Instructions are provided on Form 2305.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. PT; Saturday, 5:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PT. After hours you can send a message to our Notary experts at, and you will receive a response the next business day.

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

Christina Tank

31 Aug 2015

But what this does NOT tell you is you must notify the Secretary of State regardless of whether you choose to keep using your old name until your commission expires or get a new one, or at least in California you do. Its a fine if you do not.

Michael Burnett

31 Aug 2015

I would like to read this article

Amanda Velasquez

23 Dec 2016

If you don't want to pay the $20 to update the name, and just wait till it's at renewal to do so, how do you just let them know that your name changed? I don't want to not follow the rules if I'm supposed to let them know I got married.

National Notary Association

28 Dec 2016

Hello Amanda. According to the instructions on the Form 2305 name change form provided by the Texas Secretary of State's office, the name change procedure is optional and a Notary may continue to sign the name on his or her commission until the commission expires, and then change the name upon commission renewal. You can find a link to the Form 2305 here if you wish to read further: Please note that the Hotline question answer above is specifically for Texas and other state requirements may be different.


12 Feb 2019

What is a rider or endorsement

National Notary Association

12 Feb 2019

Based on what you’ve described, we think it would be best if you contacted our Hotline team by phone and provided them with a more detailed description of the situation. The NNA Hotline: 1-888-876-0827 Mon – Fri: 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (PT) Saturday: 5:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (PT) If you’re not an NNA Member or Hotline Subscriber, they will provide you with a one-time courtesy call.

Patricia Ann Viruet

06 May 2019

If someone is a notary and didn't change their name after getting married could they still notarize family members or spouse papers? EX. I know someone who got married and she is notarizing her husbands papers for his business which she is also manager of that business. Her bond is under her maiden name.

National Notary Association

07 May 2019

Hello. To help us answer your question can you please tell us what state the Notary is commissioned in?

Minerva Rodriguez

11 Jul 2019

I will be getting married before notary commision experation. Am I able to renew with existing name on notary commision? If I wish to renew with new married name what documentation will I need to provide?

National Notary Association

22 Jul 2019

Hello. To help us answer your question, can you please let us know what state you are commissioned in?


03 Sep 2019

I am in Arkansas...I never changed my notary to my married name. Can i notarize documents as long as I don't use my married name?

National Notary Association

03 Sep 2019

Hello. Arkansas Notaries are required to notify the Secretary of State and the local circuit court clerk within 30 days of any change that would alter the information on file with the Secretary and the court clerk (ACA 21-14-103[a]).

Phyllis A. Mahoney

29 Oct 2019

I got divorced and took back my maiden name; is it still okay for me to notarize signing Phyllis M. Nichols which is on my stamp until it gets renewed August 2020

National Notary Association

29 Oct 2019

Hello. To help us answer your question, can you please tell us what state you are commissioned in?

Brenda J Mack

13 Jan 2020

I have gotten marriage and I need to change my name on my Notary Stamp

National Notary Association

14 Jan 2020

Hello. If you purchased your stamp from the NNA you can contact our Customer Care team at 1-800-876-6827 for assistance.

Jane Manibusan

16 Feb 2020

I am a notary in the state of Wisconsin, just got married and notary expires June of this year. What do I need to do and can I still use current stamp?

National Notary Association

18 Feb 2020

Hello. A Wisconsin Notary with a new legal name must submit a change of name form (available on the website) to the Department of Financial Institutions prior to using the new name as a Notary. According to Wisconsin's "Notary Public Information" pamphlet: “If you change your name for any reason, it is strongly suggested that you purchase a new seal or rubber stamp stating your new name (and the words ‘State of Wisconsin’ and ‘Notary Public’). Obtain a Address/Name/Seal Change form from the WDFI… You are required to complete and submit the Address/Name/Seal change form to the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions PRIOR to using your new name and seal for notary purposes”

Katey Payne

20 Feb 2020

I live in Utah, I got married can I continue to use my notary stamp until it expires if I sign with the name on my stamp?

National Notary Association

24 Feb 2020

Hello. A Utah Notary is not required to change the Notary’s name by adopting the surname of the Notary’s spouse (UCA 46-1-20[1]-[3]). However, if you do choose to change your name, you will need to notify the Lt. Governor's office and provide appropriate documentation within 30 days from the date of the name change, notify your surety bond provider of the name change and obtain a bond rider for your surety bond, and destroy your old commission and seal (UCA 46-1-20[1]-[3]).

Kiley J

26 Feb 2020

Not sure if anyone still monitors the comments on this, but I'm getting married in a few days and I'm thinking about changing my name but I'm wondering if I'm required to update my commission and stamp with my new name or if I can let my commission run its course until it's up for renewal. For expedience, I'm located in California.

National Notary Association

27 Feb 2020

Hello. If a Notary changes his or her name, a Notary Public Name Change form must be filed with the Secretary of State. Willful failure to do so may result in a fine of up to $500 (GC 8213.6). After receiving the completed form, the Secretary will issue an amended commission in the Notary’s new name. Within 30 days after issuance of the amended commission, the Notary must file a new oath of office and a bond amendment with the clerk of the county in which the Notary’s principal place of business is located. Within 30 days after the filing, the Notary must obtain a seal with the new name (GC 8213[c]).


09 Jun 2020

My married name is hyphenated. My stamp still has my maiden name. I can write in my additional last name on it?

National Notary Association

10 Jun 2020

Hello. To help us answer your question can you please tell us what state you are commissioned in?


10 Jun 2020

My married name is hyphenated. My stamp still has my maiden name. Can I write in my additional last name on it? I reside in NY, Queens County

National Notary Association

10 Jun 2020

Hello. New York Notaries who change their name through marriage may: (a) continue using the former name when functioning as a Notary; or (b) use the former name in the official signature and stamp, adding the new name in parentheses after the signature. Upon renewing the commission, however, the Notary must select one or the other name and use that name exclusively in performing notarizations (NPLL). “If you are changing or have changed your name, you should use your new name when signing your renewal application”

Jennifer Clark

10 Jun 2020

I just got married and my commission needs to be renewed. I live in Florida, can I renew and update my name at the same time?

National Notary Association

12 Jun 2020

“Any notary public who lawfully changes his name shall, within 60 days after such change, forthwith request an amended commission from the Secretary of State ... (who) shall issue an amended commission to the notary public in the new name. A rider to the notary public’s bond must accompany the notice of change form. After submitting the required notice of change form and rider to the Secretary of State, the notary public may continue to perform notarial acts in his former name for 60 days or until receipt of the amended commission, whichever date is earlier” (FS 117.05[9]). “Contact your Bonding Agency…[t]o amend your notary public commission after a lawful name change” (Governor's Reference Manual for Notaries).

Jasmyne Antionette Ward

24 Jun 2020

I live in Washington State. I was recently married and my name has changed. My commission expires in 2022. Can I still notarize documents until my renewal with my maiden name?

National Notary Association

26 Jun 2020

Hello. Washington Notaries who change their name must notify the Department of Licensing on forms prescribed by the Department (WAC 308-30-250[1]). “A notary that submits a name change notification shall continue to use their original notary stamp or seal and their original name and signature until they receive a new commission certificate and seal or stamp with the new information” (WAC 308-30-250[3]).

Tracy Lane

03 Sep 2020

I live in Michigan and am recently married. Do I need to change the name on my notary stamp when I legally change my name or can I continue to notarize in my maiden name?

National Notary Association

04 Sep 2020

“A notary public shall immediately apply to the secretary, in a format prescribed by the secretary, for a corrected notary public commission upon the occurrence of any of the following circumstances: (a) A change in the notary public’s name. “(b) A change in the notary public’s residence or business address” (MCL 55.281[1]). A “Michigan Notary Public Request for Duplicate/Notice of Change” form is available for this purpose and downloadable on the website.) There is no charge and no need to apply for a new commission. The Notary also must immediately apply to the Secretary if the Notary’s commission contains an error in the person’s name, birth date, county or other pertinent information, reflecting a change in factual information in the person’s application. “The secretary shall notify the county clerk of the applicant’s appointment when a corrected commission is issued by the secretary” (MCL 55.281[3]).


25 Sep 2020

I recently got married (texas) do I need to change my name and if I leave it as my maiden name can I still notarize my now husbands papers?

National Notary Association

02 Oct 2020

Hello. While there is not a specific prohibition in Texas about notarizing a spouse's signature, you should not notarize if you are named as a party in the document or would receive a benefit from the document. You can find information on name changes for Texas Notaries here:

21 Oct 2020

I’m in Alabama and I let my commission expire bc they don’t do name changes in Alabama for notaries. So to get it renewed w my new name, do I just fill out the renewal page and send in then just order new stamp? Thank you!

National Notary Association

22 Oct 2020

Hello. You would need to apply for a new Notary commission under your new name.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.