Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Notary Bulletin

What State Laws Apply To An Out-Of-State Notary Commission?

NNA Hotline Tip logo

I am commissioned as a Notary in Wisconsin, where I work, but I live in the state of Illinois. Which state’s Notary laws do I need to follow when I notarize documents, since I only notarize when I am at work? — M. K., Racine, WI

You would need to follow the laws, rules and regulations for the state of Wisconsin since that’s where you would be performing notarizations and is the state which issued your commission.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call (888) 876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

Related Articles:

FAQ: Can I Notarize Documents In Other States or Countries?

Handling Requests To Notarize Out-Of-State Documents


View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

02 Apr 2015

per the question asked - can a person be notarized in two states?

National Notary Association

02 Apr 2015

Hello Alicia. The answer varies depending on the state. Some jurisdictions allow out-of-state residents to apply for Notary commissions. Often the applicant must work or have a place of business in the state issuing the Notary commission in order to apply. However, other states only issue commissions to residents.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.