Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Hotline Tip: Can I Notarize A Document For Two Different States?

NNA Hotline Tips For NotariesA client has asked me to notarize a document for use in both Texas and California. Am I authorized to do that, and, if so, do I need to enter them as two different notarial acts in my journal?  T.T., Fresno, CA

You are permitted to notarize a document for use in both Texas and California as long as you are located in the state of California when you notarize it. You need to make sure the “venue” portion of the notarial certificate clearly indicates the state of California as the place where the notarization occurred, as well as noting a California county in which you are performing the notarization. Since you are notarizing one document and presumably one signature, you need only to create one journal entry.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. — The Editors


Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call (888) 876-0827Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST

View All: Hotline Tips

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.