Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Hotline Tip: How To Dipose Of An Obsolete Seal

If you resign your Notary commission, move to a new address or change your name due to marriage, it may be necessary to replace your seal of office. But don’t throw it away intact. Someone may find it and use it for fraudulent purposes.

Before discarding an old ink seal, the rubber face should be cut or otherwise defaced so that it cannot be used again. A metal embosser may need to be disassembled or have the embossing plate removed before disposal. Dispose of the pieces separately or in different locations.

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

Carol Edwards

09 Aug 2017

How do I renewal my Notary commission since I have a new name and address? Also, my commission expires 10/17/2017

National Notary Association

09 Aug 2017

Hello. Our Customer Care team can assist you with commission renewal. You can contact them at 1-800-876-6827.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.