Hotline Tip: Does A Florida Notary Commission Allow Me To Perform Out-Of-State Weddings?

I would like to use my Notary commission to perform wedding ceremonies in Florida, as well as in other states. What would be the procedure for this? – C.K., Tampa, FL

As a Florida Notary, you are authorized to solemnize marriages within your state, as long as the couple presents a valid marriage certificate. You may not, however, perform marriage ceremonies in other states, as your Notary commission is valid only within Florida state boundaries. Governor Rick Scott’s website contains additional information and resources regarding performing marriage ceremonies in Florida.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. — The Editors


© 2014 National Notary Association. All rights reserved . Privacy Statement . Copyright Statement
National Notary Foundation . Returns . About Us . Contact Us . Feedback