Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Can I notarize a document related to out-of-state property?

Photo of woman with long dark hair on phone. She is looking at papers in her hand. Text on image reads NNA Hotline Tip.

Can a California Notary notarize a power of attorney that includes property in both California and property outside of the country in the same power of attorney?C.G., California

Yes. A Notary Public only takes the acknowledgment of a signature on a power of attorney. The specific contents of a power of attorney are of no concern to a Notary Public, as long as the document is complete and contains no blank spaces or missing information.

For more information, please see our article and video, “The most common types of notarizations.”

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline consultants to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

Rosa Maria Lagarda de Shammas

26 Feb 2024

Thank You for this information. I appreciate it.

03 Mar 2024

Hello, I have a NY Notary license and retired from Kodak Alaris in 2020. I renewed my license last year and use my home in NY as an office to Notarize documents for those in need. I don't have a business but Notarize documents for those who know Iam a Notary through word of mouth. I don't advertize. I want to move to Florida for the winter months next year and still be able to Notarize in Florida as I am considering going back to work part time. How can I make this happen? I understand if you have a business in NY but live in another state you need to go back to NY for 1 day to keep your license active which I will do. Can I use my NY stamp for the months I am in Florida or do I need to get a Florida license? Can I have 2 licenses? How can I make this work? Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

National Notary Association

04 Mar 2024

Hello. You may not use your NY Notary commission to perform notarization when you are in Florida. Only legal residents of Florida are eligible to apply for a FL Notary commission.

04 Mar 2024

I live in NY and plan to spend the winter months in Florida next year and would like to be able to Notarize documents in both states. Can I have 2 licenses, one for when I am in NY and one for when I am in Florida?

National Notary Association

06 Mar 2024

Hello. Only legal residents of Florida are eligible to apply for a FL Notary commission.


11 Mar 2024

Can a notary Notarize joint heirs' property that was inherited by (9 Siblings) to be sold without the approve of all heirs? Is this legal? My Sister in Law convinced her sister to let her purchase her share of the heirs property.

National Notary Association

12 Mar 2024

Hello. Any legal questions you have about preparing a document would need to be answered by a qualified attorney.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.