Your Cookies are Disabled! You must have cookies enabled to access secure areas of our website. Learn more.

Notary Bulletin

Hotline Tip: What Do I Do With A Damaged Journal?

NNA Hotline Tips For NotariesMy Notary journal has been damaged and is no longer usable. According to the California Secretary of State’s website, I am supposed to notify them of the issue, but the site offers no information as to what I should do with the damaged journal. Should I keep it, or have it destroyed? – K.B., San Diego, CA

If you have a damaged Notary journal, you are required to notify the Secretary of State by certified mail informing them that the journal has been damaged. Explain the extent of the damage and the time period the journal covers. Keep the damaged journal, along with any other journals, and simply start a new one. You are required to turn in your journals, including your damaged one, to the county clerk’s office if you resign your commission, if it has been revoked, or if it expired more than 30 days prior to receiving a new commission. Until such time, do not destroy or shred your journals, but keep them under your direct supervision and control in a locked and secured place.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. –The Editors

Kelle Clarke is a Contributing Editor with the National Notary Association.


Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call (888) 876-0827Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.