Your Cookies are Disabled! You must have cookies enabled to access secure areas of our website. Learn more.

Notary Bulletin

Hotline Tip: Can I Notarize Documents That Will Be Recorded In Another State?

NNA Hotline Tips For NotariesAs a Virginia Notary, am I able to notarize a document that will be recorded in another state, such as North Carolina? - L.U., Woodbridge, Virginia

A Virginia Notary may notarize documents that are recorded across state borders, as is true for notarizations performed in any state. It doesn’t matter where the documents will be filed, as long as the notarization you perform is within your jurisdiction and you follow the laws of the state where you are commissioned.


Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call (888) 876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.