Your Cookies are Disabled! You must have cookies enabled to access secure areas of our website. Learn more.

Notary Bulletin

Hotline Tip: How Do I Change My Name On My Notary Stamp And License?

NNA Hotline Tips For NotariesI recently got married and I have already changed my name on my Social Security card and driver’s license, but how do I get my name changed on my Notary stamp and license? - J.S., Shohola, PA

A Pennsylvania Notary who changes his or her name may continue to notarize using the original name until their commission expires, whereupon any application for a new commission must be made in the new name (57 PS 156).

Within 30 days of the name change, the Notary must inform the Secretary of the Commonwealth and the recorder of deeds of the county in which the Notary maintains an office.

The Notary may opt to use the new name when notarizing but only after notifying the recorder of deeds, registering the new signature with the prothonotary, purchasing a new rubber seal and informing the Department of State in writing. A notification form is available on the Department of State'swebsite.


Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call (888) 876-0827Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST


Add your comment


17 Jul 2014

I need to change my name in Illinois. Please advise

National Notary Association

17 Jul 2014

Hi Beata. You will need to apply for a new Illinois Notary commission under the new name. You can contact our Customer Care Department at 1-800-876-6827 or for assistance, or contact the Secretary of State's office online at

Andrea Nixon

16 Jul 2014

I will be facing the same situation in October of next year. I will be taking my new husband's name I am in Michigan. Please advise.

National Notary Association

16 Jul 2014

Hi Andrea. You will need to contact the Secretary of State's office to request a corrected Notary commission. If you obtained your commission through the NNA, our Customer Care Department can assist you-you can contact them at 1-800-876-6827 or You can also contact the Michigan Secretary of State's office directly at 1-888-767-6424 or online at

Leila Nolan

16 Jul 2014

I have the same situation in FL and have already received my new SS card and driver's license. Can you advise for Florida?

National Notary Association

16 Jul 2014

Hi Leila. A Notary who changes his or her name in Florida must request an amended commission within 60 days of the name change through an approved bonding agency. (A list of approved bonding agencies is available at You will need to submit: 1. A completed notice of name change form (DS-DE 77A) 2.Your current commission 3.A rider to current notary public bond 4.$25 check or money order (payable to Department of State) After submitting the notice of name change form and rider, a Florida Notary may continue to perform notarial acts in his or her former name for 60 days or until receipt of the amended commission, whichever date is earlier. If you obtained your commission from the NNA, you can contact our Customer Care department for assistance at 1-800-876-6827 or More information is also available at

Rene Erard

15 Jul 2014

I have this same situation in Nevada. Can you advise for Nevada? I should be getting my updated social security card next week in the mail.

National Notary Association

16 Jul 2014

Hi Rene! A Nevada Notary who changes his or her name must apply for an amended certificate of appointment under the new name. The Secretary of State's office charges a $10 fee to amend a certificate. If you need assistance with applying for an amended certificate, you can contact our Customer Care team at 1-800-876-6827 or, and there is also information available on the NV Secretary of State's website at Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. Have a great day.

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.