Your Cookies are Disabled! sets cookies on your computer to help improve performance and provide a more engaging user experience. By using this site, you accept the terms of our cookie policy. Learn more.

Notary Bulletin

Hotline Tip: Changing Your Commission Status

Any time you change your name or address, it must be communicated to your state’s Notary Public authority as soon as possible.

It is imperative that the state keep track of its Notaries so it knows the availability of notarial services for its residents.

Many states have statutes covering changes in your commission and often give a timeframe by which the Notary Public authority must be notified, e.g., 30 days after the move to a residence. If you’ve moved within your jurisdiction or if you have changed your name, you also may be required to re-file your bond and arrange to get a new seal. If the latter is the case, you may not be allowed to perform any notarizations until your new, correct seal arrives in your mailbox, so make sure you plan ahead to avoid any interruption in your ability to perform notarizations.

Some states will allow Notaries to retain their commission if they’ve moved to another state and continue to do business in the one where they have their commission. But don’t assume this is the case. If your state doesn’t allow this, you will have to resign your commission and get a new one in the state to which you have moved. Again, this may have to be handled in a specific manner and period of time.

If you have any questions about changes in your commission status, contact your Notary Public authority for guidance.

View All: Hotline Tips


Add your comment

Kori Kashmanian

30 Jan 2017

I moved from Florida to Texas, what steps do I need to complete to still be notarized in Texas

National Notary Association

30 Jan 2017

Hello. If you wish to become a Notary in Texas, you will need to apply for a new commission in that state. You can find more information at the TX Secretary of State's website ( or you can call the NNA's Customer Care team at 1-800-876-6827 for assistance with the commission application process.


01 Jul 2017

I haven't received my Notary Bond yet, but I have moved to another apartment still in CA. Do I still contact Notary Commission or until I'm an official Notary?

National Notary Association

03 Jul 2017

CA Notaries who move their business, residence and/or mailing address must inform the Secretary of State in writing, by certified mail or any means of physical delivery that produces a receipt, within 30 days of the move. Willful failure to do so may result in a fine of up to $500 (GC 8213.5).

29 Jun 2020

In the commission status what does a mid-commission mean?

National Notary Association

30 Jun 2020

Based on what you’ve described, we think it would be best if you contacted our Hotline team by phone and provided them with a more detailed description of the situation. The NNA Hotline: 1-888-876-0827 Mon – Fri: 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (PT) Saturday: 5:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (PT) If you’re not an NNA Member or Hotline Subscriber, they will provide you with a one-time courtesy call.

Kristin L Kyle

24 Aug 2020

I got married how do I change my name?

National Notary Association

24 Aug 2020

Hello. To help us assist you can you please tell us what state you are commissioned in?

Annette Jones

18 Nov 2020

Already a notary just want to become a member how to complete your form

National Notary Association

18 Nov 2020

Hello. To become an NNA member, please visit this page:

Leave a Comment

Required *

All comments are reviewed and if approved, will display.