In a tough mortgage market, Notary Signing Agents must be at the top of their game to be competitive, professional and valuable to the companies they work for. As a result, the NNA has launched a series of online webinars as an added benefit to its NSA section members, to provide important insights and support to Notaries and loan signing industry professionals.
The first webinar, presented by NNA Vice President William A. Anderson, covered the critical issue of privacy protection in loan signings and was attended by nearly 500 Notaries. Both federal law and best practices require Notary Signing Agents to protect the sensitive private information of borrowers that they handle during loan document signings.
With many Signing Agents handling electronic as well as paper documents, its important to be sure electronically transmitted information is protected as well. Some tips for NSAs covered in the webinar include:
- Dont permit other people to access your computer and download or print loan documents for you.
- Dont download and print eDocs from public computers, such as at libraries or hotels.
- When downloading and printing eDocs, print them directly from an eMail attachment or Web site, rather than saving a copy onto your computer, which leaves a copy that might be accessed by others.
- Be sure access to your computer is protected by a strong password.
- If you use a wireless network, make sure access is secure so that other people cannot access it without your authorization.